Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California Central Coast Pier Fishing tips tips, I need your tips
Hey all, I'm new to this forum, I normally post on the Fly Fishing board.

I have a couple of questions about pier fishing along the central coast in CA. Mainly I really just want to know where is good this time of year. I'm thinking of heading out the 1st weekend in August. The wife will be visiting her sister so I'll be able to steal away for a day ro two.

And the second thing is regarding gear. I have a med. wt. rod that I use for salmon fishing in the river, how will that be for pier fishing? Also, what's the night bite like? I've heard you can land some leopard shark off of piers sometimes at night, true?

Really I just want to spend a couple of days in the sun doing what I love. But catching something I can throw on a grill would be an added bonus. I normally stick to fly fishing in the high sierra's and haven't really ocean fished since I was a kid. So any help would be great.

Thanks! [Wink]
[signature]
[cool]Peir fishing is pretty basic. Get yourself a two hook drop rig, a 3 ounce pyramid sinker, some #2 or #4 bait holder hooks, and start fishing.

I'd use Cut Squid, shrimp, or mullet(if availible, or equilivent to the local cut baitfish). You're salmon rod will be fine for basic bottom fishing from a peir. There are many other ways to fish from a peir, however, that is the most basic and productive.

If you're interested, i'll share info on how to use a fish finder rig so you can swim a live bait out there

Tubn2 lives in Cali and does alot of saltwater fishing there on the peirs, maybe he'll join in and spread a few local tricks of the trade.
[signature]
The flyrod is a blast on the surf. I use mine to catch Barred Surf Perch. You can even attach a Gulp Sand Flea to a #14 mosquito hook and play it out like a good streamer fly.

As far as the shark fishing goes, I would hang up the flyswatter (like I do) and bring out the bigger artillary.

20 to 30lb setup would be recommended(rod and reel). 20lb Test, 4/0 Ocotpus hooks and 2 hole frozen squid will get you bit in just about any location on the coast. If you are going to fish from the beach, you will need at least a 5oz Pyramid sinker to hold you just past the surf line.

When fishing from a pier, 3oz is sufficient when you cast out from well behind the surf line up to the depths of the abyss.

What area are you planning to fish?? I can give you some pointers on some of the other specific species for the area.[cool]
[signature]
I found some more specfic information that may be helpful to you.

[url "http://www.pierfishing.com/resources/index.php?id=piers:cayucos_pier"]Cayucos Pier Info[/url]

[url "http://www.pierfishing.com/resources/index.php?id=piers:morro_bay_pier"]Morro Bay Pier[/url]

20lb should be good for just about any of the heavier species. 10 to 12lb would be best for the smaller ones.

Good luck and please feel free to post a report when you come back.[cool]
[signature]
As far as the corrosion on your reel, don't be so concerned. As long as you rinse them off very good, you'll have no issues. Most reels are made with stainless steel ball bearings and many with brass or stainless gears and drive. An Okuma is no different, and makes a solid reel, you'll have no issues with a good rinsing.

What I usually do is submerge the reel in freshwater(I always stop by the river on the way home from a trip to the ocean) and give it a few cranks. With a spinning reel, just flip the anti-reverse and reel it back and forth a few times. Make sure you give'em a shot of lube once he dries out. You'll be good to go![cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the info!!! I went to the Cayucos pier and fished for two days straight. It was a blast. I ended up catching a bunch of macs and some smaller baitfish, which I used for bait both nights I was there, for shark. I ended up with two dogfish which are now in my freezer ready for me to chow. I think I might even head out again next weekend to give it another go.

Thanks again!!!
[signature]
Way to go. I'm glad to see that you could benefit from some of the advice here on the forum. Good luck on your next venture and please feel free to give us another report.[cool]
[signature]