Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Da Green and Da Gorge 7/8 & 7/9
Well,

Let me start off by saying that Hookjaw Brimhall and I were very dissapointed with the Gorge. We started out early trolling for Kokes. Tried EVERYTHING we knew. Humdingers, Crippalures, wedding rings, Koke-E-Nuts, small spoons, etc. We tried, greens, pinks, oranges, reds, etc. We used dodgers, nothing... even resorted to pop gear. COULD NOT GET A KOKE. We had a finder and saw plenty of fish schooled at 40-50ft over 70-100ft of water, but we couldn't get em. They must have been kokes. Just don't know what we were doing wrong. We did manage a thousand[Tongue] rainbows in the process. Most were small, but we managed a few nice ones. We decided to go jig for Macks. Well, just as we found a few fish in 80 ft of water between an island and a point, the W came up hard and was blowing us around hard. VERY HARD to keep us over the fish, with my inexperienced boat control skills. We did have a few on using green and white tubes, but we long released them all. One of them felt pretty damned hefty to say the least. Just as we were getting completely discouraged, I hooked into a nice heavy fish. The weird thing was is that it was just that.. heavy. I reeled it up, and I caught myself a nice downrigging ball and about 60ft of wire. [Sad]

We decided to troll around a little more, and we managed several more bows. We did make one stop to pitch some plastics at the smallies and caught about 20 dinks. I saw fish under me on the finder in 25ft of water so I dropped my mackinaw tube right down on them, and had a nice smallie on for about 30 seconds. It got off, but I would guess it was about 19". He was a good looking fish too. Nice smallie for the Utah side of the Gorge.

All of this Gorge fishing took place on our second day there. I wanted to save the best for last. [Smile]

We arrived at the Green on Saturday afternoon. Tons of people there. They are doing some kind of construction on both sides of the river at Little Hole. Hate seeing that. To get away from the crowds a little bit we walked up about a mile before doing any serious fishing. Man was the fishing hot! We were spin fishing, and were getting one about every 3rd or 4th cast for about 2 hours. We caught some really nice browns. The biggest went 21", but the average was about 17". We also managed several bows and a few hybrids as well. A lot of fish, and a lot of fun! [Smile]

Well, on 7/9 after our trolling for 8 hours on the Gorge gave only fair results, we decided to go back to the Green for some more afternoon fishing. Neither Hookjaw nor I had fished from the 1st parking lot just below the dam for a mile or 2 below. So we parked there, and took that STEEP trail down. I knew it was gonna be a mother comin back up after fishing, but we were excited to give it a try. We got down to the river, and started walking down. We walked down about 2 miles or so, and started making our way back up as we fished. Along the way we ran into several fisherman, both spin and fly, that said fishing was horrible, and we might as well start at Little Hole. We weren't phased. Good thing too, because the fishing was just as good, if not better, than the day before. Again we caught fish after fish. Biggest one on day 2 was a fat 20" brown. MAN IT WAS FUN! Normally the fish on the Green know the drill when they are hooked, and they don't put up the greatest fight. We found quite a few that knew how to tussle with the best of them. The green is usually a fairly tough river with lots of smart fish. We always catch our fair share, but this was easy. It also felt nice to wade a little, because we had forgot the sunscreen, and looked like a couple of lobsters from our trolling around the lake.
As we neered the parking lot we saw a decent 17" brown with about a 11" bow in his mouth. The bow was still alive, and thrashing like crazy. It was a very cool sight as we saw the struggle come to an end, and the brown find a little deeper water as e tried to swallow the bow.

On our way back we saw a ton of wildlife including a spike elk right off the road. We also saw a couple nice 4 points all still in velvet of course.

Although the Gorge fishing wasn't up to standard, it was really nice to get outta the crib I call my house. All in all good fishing and good company. When I get a chance I will post some pics from the green, and some of the wildlife.
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report, sounds like you have the Green river figured out, too bad the kokes did not want to play on the Gorge. WH2
[signature]
Wow, nice report.... I've just got to get on the Green.... all these great reports are killing me. [pirate] So many places to fish, so little time.[unsure]
[signature]
Great report on the Green!
I have been fishing up there since 1972, and have seen alot of changes (most for the best), although I fear the worst when I hear about the construction at Little Hole.
For those who haven't heard, Spinner Fall fly shop wants to build a lodge with cabins and access to the river in the big meadow directly across from Little Hole. In my opinion, that would be a huge mistake and wipe out the great fishing that currently can be found in that part of the river. Also, critical winter range for deer & elk would be seriously affected and the only people who would benefit would be the wealthy patrons who can afford to stay at the proposed lodge and the developers themselves.
"Joe Average 6 Packs" like myself who couldn't (and wouldn't) pay to stay there will lose a very valuable public treasure if this lodge is allowed to be built and I believe that anyone who has ever spent time on the Green should be VERY concerned about this and trying to do whatever we can to get it stopped!!
Any input from all you fellow BTFers would be greatly appreciated!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sad to say but by the time the "Joe average six packs" ever find out about something like that it is too late for them to be able to reverse anything. Contracts have been signed and money has changed hands. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Our fisherman's instincts are usually right about something like this. It will be a good thing for the developer, for the benefit of them and their clients. However, it will not only be an eyesore to those who remember the undeveloped site, but it will most certainly reduce the quality of the angling too. Already too many anglers whuppin' up on the dwindling supply of fish. Hard to get a quality day in on the river anymore without having to "share" it with a bunch of other folks...who likely resent you being there as much as you do them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Big business has bought up prime locations along many of our western fishing holes and turned them into "members only" enterprises that shut out the average person who can't afford the steep entrance fees. I have relatives in Idaho who had to quit fishing their favorite waters when they were shut out by fences and armed guards. In some cases, I have heard of folks who cannot even fish on their own property after unknowingly selling off the stream access rights.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You don't have to like it, but you usually have to live with it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It is very unfortunate. The construction was in that meadow right accross from the launch at Little Hole. It's a shame.

By the way TD. The finder worked great!
[signature]
Wow thats odd that you didnt event catch one koke.The koke fishing at the gorge has been on fire lately.
[signature]
I know. I am the 1st to admot I am no expert, but I have caught quite a few. I really don't know what it was. [Sad]
[signature]
Re:"by the time the "Joe average six packs" ever find out about something like that it is too late for them to be able to reverse anything"

This may be true, but the flurry of letters and emails we the anglers sent off got the "powers-that-be" to at least reconsider this decision. Continued resistance is worth the effort and we actually may have a chance in this battle.

There is another problem with SITLA that we sportsmen ought to be concerned about. Currently the DWR, through the habitat fund, pays SITLA $200,000 in "trespass fees" for hunters and fishermen to fish/hunt on school trust lands. Very little fishing access is currently obtained thru SITLA lands. SITLA wants to shake down the DWR for more cash by raising the annual fee to 2 million dollars! This could wipe out the entire DWR habitat acquisition fund. Let's hope the DWR chiefs stand up to SITLA and resist this extortion.

Tight lines.

BTW, do you have lake X on your "dance card"? It has been very good recently for quality perch along with the usual nice bass lately.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good points. I am never one to roll over and play dead if there are still options to exercise. Unless the whole thing is cast in concrete and all decisions irreversible, then by all means keep on keepin' on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for the tips on Lake X. We have a "perch search" on the agenda as soon as possible. Can you share any general tips as to locations, depths, best lures/baits etc. Probably be a good idea to PM that info or post it as another thread. No need to hijack this one.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Here are some of the pics as promised... [Tongue]
[signature]
WE TOO FISHED FRIDAY AND SATURDAY AND IT WAS ALOT SLOWERRRRRRRRRR THEN IT HAS BEEN THE LAST MONTH....AS KOKEKING SAID IT HAS BEEN ON FIRE BUT I TOO DID NOT CATCH THE NUMBER'S THAT I AM USED TO CATCHING...THAT BEING SAID THE KOKE GOD'S GAVE US A LITTLE SMILE AND WE LANDED TWO THAT WERE 5.4 POUNDS AND 4.15 SO WE LUCKED INTO TWO "PIG'S" HOWEVER THE REST WERE NORMAL IN THE 3.5 POUND CLASS. I THINK IN 2 MOURNING AND 1 EVENING TRIP'S WE CAUGHT A TOTAL OF 16 KOKES WHICH 2 WEEK'S AGO WE WERE CATCHING THE OPENING HOUR AND A HALF EACH MOURNING OUT....WHICH MADE FOR AN EXTREMELY AGITATING TRIP AS I ALWAY'S EXPECT MORE....THEY WERE OBVIOUSLY ON A "DIFFERENT BITE" JUST KEEP GOING BACK AND GIVING THEM HELL YOU WILL DO FINE
SOCKEYESLAYER
[signature]
Man... 5.4lbs koke.... My dream fish! I would have loved to get into the normal 3.5lb class fish.
[signature]
I was on the Gorge just the week before you and I had the same luck. We threw everything at the Kokes and nothing would bite. I even had all the info from Jared Johnson and still nothing. They did have lock jaw for us too. We caught just a couple each day, but we fished hard. Like you, we did catch some nice rainbows. But the medium sized lakers that we usually catch didn't bite either. I decided it was just a bad couple of days. Some guys said that the Kokes will start hitting again later this month. I hope I can get up there again.
[signature]
If you are planning on releasing those fish, I would recommend not holding them by the gills. Those fish didn't look like they were keepers for the green, that's why I decided to post this.

Just FYI
[signature]
If you noticed (but failed to mention) the only pic of me holding a fish clearly shows that I did not touch its gills.
[signature]
Well whoever is holding the browns in the pics. Those are fingers in the gills.

FYI... red things inside the flap on the side of the fish = GILLS.
[signature]
Thanks for your observation.

And FYI.. I am fully aware of what/where gills are.
[signature]
About the fingers in the gills, I am guilty as charged. I have been fishing for years and landed uncountable fish. Not once in my life have i had any problems with the fish after touching the gills. I figure if a fish can have treble hook lodged in its mouth, It can take a light touch to the gill area.
Hookjaw
[signature]