Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fresh or Salt?
What are the differences between saltwater and freshwater fishing? Do I need a different fishing rod depending on which type of water I choose? Does the bait I would use differ? Is one easier to fish in than the other?
[signature]
I mainly fish freshwater, and I'm sure somebody else with more saltwater experience than I will chime in with further information.

However, for salt water fishing, you generally will use heavier rods, reels, and line than you will use for freshwater. I have found that generally saltwater fishing involves more live bait and less artificial bait use as well. The bait used depends on the species you are going after, however I have used shiners in salt water before.

I don't believe either are easy.

Anyhow, welcome to BFT.
[signature]
First and foremost, welcome to bigfishtackle.com message boards!!!!!!!!!!

As far as your question, just the varience in freshwater fishing alone is dramatic. I have atleast 5 different tackle needs when fishing in freshwater alone. I have atleast 5 or 6 more in saltwater, all different, some similar.

The fishing equipment and tactics you use change drastically depending on fishing conditions, target species, and angler abilities. I've been fishing for over 20 years, and I still learn something new everytime I set foot in my boat or make my way to the dock or peir. Fishing conditions change and rotate all the time, you as an angler need to be able to adjust to them. Part of that adjustment is in your tackle, the other in your tactics.

You must be targeting a specific species at your home location, maybe we can give you some insight.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the replay and welcome. I usually end up fishing on freshwater and going after Pike. I just recently switched to berkley fireline and loved the results.
[signature]