Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weber river to high for me!
went up to the weber today its runing high to dangerous for me not a good place for kids right now. I tryed to fish no luck the water has the color of runoff chocolate. Caddis flys all over even geting into my pantlegs[shocked]
[signature]
I drove down Weber canyon on Saturday and I had the impression that the water was way too deep and swift for fishing. Hopefully it'll drop as summer progresses.
[signature]
It usually runs high until fall when they cut the water off for the farmers. A couple sections to check out are morgan to peterson,they divert water off the river for power,so it can be fishable when the rest of the water is high. between Echo and rockport usually runs good level for fishing through the summer. and higher above rockport can be good.
[signature]
Fished the Weber between Echo and Rockport on Friday.The river is running perfect and looks beautiful! I managed about 15 fish but only one was a trout.I was nymphing with mostly a sowbug and a grey soft hackle below that.Did try a beadhead hare's ear as my bottom fly but still could only manage many huge whitefish and no browns.Any suggestions what to try for the troutskies??Whitefish are fun but would like to nail a few browns!!
[signature]
Slimerslayer Dave scadden used to tell me to switch to streamers have you heard of anyone geting whitefish on streamers? I wonder what James would use. Anyway sounds like you had a great day fishing i love to catch whitefish myself. Next time i head up to the weber i will only take streamers with plenty of lead i will post what happens! % ?[crazy]
[signature]
my all time best seller for the Weber was 14,12 B.H. Prince because it was deadly for Browns on the weber. Next to that is B.H. Hares ear in 14. then trail the soft hackle.
[signature]
Streamers are effective, but are best on on overcast days. Especially when the water is clear. My best days on this river have been when it's overcast and raining lightly. I prefer a Dark Spruce with a small brass bullet head, or a lightly weighted Muddler Minnow. Cast under the bushes, and strip fast or let it swing down into the undercut banks. For nymphs, I like a #16 hares ear with a #20 PT dropper fished on extra limp Flourocarbon tippet material. A Goddard Caddis with a BH Hares Ear dropper can be good as well when the Caddis are hatching.
[signature]