Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crappie on flies? In the heat of summer?
[cool]I'm new to the South, but a fair hand at Fly fishing. I did that for years in the Pacific North West. I loved it. And I miss it too.

But now I'm down in Alabama. Crappie are the big deal here.
Do they ever hit on flies?
Does anybody know how to catch Crappie in the middle of the summer heat?

I'm fishing in a very large lake. I've asked a lot of questions lately and have some good advice about catching Crappie in large lakes in the Summer.
It all seems to hinge on fishing down deep where they Hole up near some structure.
That would be some pretty un-exciting fishing.

So how about catching them on Flies at this time of year?
Does it happen?
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there Thudpucker - why would you ever leave the NW for Alabama? They again why did I leave the NW for the desert of SOCAL. I know it is because I am [crazy].[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]By the way here is one persons take flys fishing for crappies.[/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3] Crappies[/url]
Since the main diet of most crappies is minnows, streamers are good flies to use. Through the many years of fishing for crappies, I have found one predominant color seems to catch the most crappies - chartreuse. For some unexplained reason this color seems to work best. I use a Mustad #9672 size 6 hook to tie a chartreuse pattern. By using chartreuse chenille, yellow hackle and my own imagination, I seem to end up with a fly that will catch crappies, especially in the early spring on our lake here at home.
I usually use my 5-6 wt rod with the usual trout style fly lines. The reason for the heavy weight rod is because in early spring the possibility of catching a largemouth bass while fishing for crappies is good. If this happens, I need a heavier rod to be able to bring the bass out of the brush or wherever he wishes to go. This brings up a another point. You will be fishing in or near the brush for the crappie since this is where he feeds most of the time. Crappies travel in schools, and where you find one, you'll generally find several. So be prepared to handle any fishing situation that might come along.
Crappies, bluegills, and bass for that matter are not as leader shy as the trout. One doesn't need to use the tapered leaders that you use for trout. They work well, but it is an expense you don't need. I have found that the size of the leader matters more than the taper of the leader.
For crappies, instead of using a tapered leader, I will start with a 10 pound leader made from Maxima's Ultragreen (super soft and limp) and add a tippet of 4 pound Maxima Ultragreen. The length of the leader depends upon your preference. I usually start with four feet of 10 pound test and use a nail knot to tie on about three feet of 4 pound test for the tippet.
I use this setup because I am fishing next to heavy cover, and I need the extra strength. If I get caught, then the break off comes at the tippet and not the leader. The four pound tippet will handle all the bass I hook when fishing for crappies. When fishing in heavy cover, the rule is if you don't get caught occasionally fishing for crappies, then you are not fishing right.
You will find it is much easier to fish for crappies with a fly rod if you can fish from a boat or canoe, simply because of the locations you will be fishing. One can fish the shoreline if there is room for the back cast, but usually there is not. Wading is ok if the water will permit it. At our lake, the water is usually too deep for wading except in some areas along selected shorelines. Generally we fish from a boat.
Plan to keep the crappies you catch because they are very good eating especially in the spring when the water is very cold. I hope this gives you some insight in the art of fishing for crappies, I don't claim to be an expert, but I hope this will open up the possibility for you to get out and fish whenever you can.
[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]I agree Chartreuse and yellow. I tie a Gartside soft hackle with those two colors and they don't have to be small at all.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]But then I do well with haresear, and princes on them also.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[Sad] Chartruse n' Yellow...Ugh! Makes you wonder what condition the Minnows are in when the Crappie get to them?

I still have some Wet lines for my 5/6 Graphite.

For Rainbows in the PacNw I always used a 4 lb tippet. I love those tapered leader too. I tried tying scaled down leaders but the 'stuff' from the water kept catching in those barrell knots, so I went to the Tapers. Nothing in fly fishing tackle is so expensive you cant have the good stuff.

You and the Goddess are in agreement on those Crappie so I'm taking that to mean they can be caught in the Depths, in the heat of summer, and in a Lake!
Dont let me down now!
[signature]
DryRod, please post a photo of a couple of your Crappie flies.
So I'll know what to look for.

I never tied in my whole life. I always bought somebody's best work.
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there Thudpucker - can't send you a picture at this time as all I have with me here in Wyoming [Jackson Hole area] are trout flys. Consequently I will include a fly by Gary Miller called "crappie charlie".[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17367;][/center]
[signature]
[cool] Boy I love that Humility. A guy that apologizes for being in Jackson Hole area doing his dead level best to have a good time.
I guess somebody's gotta do it!
I sure hope your having a good time at it.

Well that's a dandy looking fly. I'm guessing it can be fished at depths too, as it's got the streamer hackle to imitate the shimmering of a yummy looking Shiner.
It dont look weedless to me though. I'm bramble prone when it comes to hooking up with the twigs n' branches down below. Oh does my Temper come up when that happens!

So I'll go looking for stuff like that locally.
[signature]