Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
baitcast reel maintenance
How often do you grease and/oil your baitcast reel?
[signature]
It really depends on the amount of use and where I use it. I generally hit the water atleast 4 or 5 times a month, and maybe more if I can. Usually half that time it's in the ocean.

I target large fish in both fresh and saltwater, so the wear factor is extreme verses someone who mainly bream or bass fishes. I try to shoot a dab of oil in my reels everytime I hit the ocean. Freshwater, I don't worry about it too much, once a month.

Penn makes a good reel lube, however, when I tear down my reels, I use automotive bearing grease. The dropping point is in the 500 degree range, so no matter how speedy the fish on the other end of the line, I don't have to worry about the reel getting fried.

I also keep a small can of WD-40 in my tackle box. I don't like putting it on my reels, but if you get a reel grinding or getting a little rough, it's better to give it a shot of WD rather than let the dirt or salt grind up in your gears. Ofcourse, if you do that, i'd recomend you take the cover off, wipe it down, and re-pack it with the proper grease.
[signature]