Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alaska Trip (pictures)
Had a great trip with my son and two bros. to Alaska. One brother lives in Alaska so he drove us around. We targeted Kings, Sockeye, and Halibut on the Kenai Pens. The sockeye return has been poor this year and they closed fishing on the Kenai for sockeye on Sunday. We did catch a couple of sockeye before it closed. The King return has not been to good either. We did catch one King. We took tw Halibut charters and got our limits both days. One day because of poor weather (7 foot seas) we only caught chickens. The other day I caught a 140 pounder and my bro. caught a 86 pounder. The next day a 320 pounder and a 210 pounder were caught with the same guide and they had them both on at once! We brought home 250 pounds of halibut and Salmon.Alaska is a beautiful place(at least in July). Saw bear,moose,bald eagles, and dall sheep. Now I am back to work and depresssed!!!!
[signature]
Thanks for the post and the pictures. Aint that a blast. Looks like you had a great trip. Me and the wife were there 1-8 July on the Kenai and also fished for Halibut out of Anchor Point.We also had a great trip. Everyone should do it at least once.
[signature]
Looks like you have some good eating in the next couple month's. I am free for dinner most anytime during the week![cool]
[signature]
Damn that makes me jealous. I love Alaska. Alder smoke that Sockeye there, It will be unbelievable! I am getting all worked up just talking about it!
[signature]
Rob, sounds like a grea trip! I need to get up there sometime.
[signature]
Hi Kent,
I hope you can get up there sometime. I hope someday to catch a sturgeon bigger than the halibut I caught. The sturgeon fight alot better than the halibut. The guide that I went with on the Kenai used about the same tackle set up for kings as we use in Idaho for sturgeon. I got some weight slides like we use for sturgeon in a tackle shop in Soldotna. Have a good one.
[signature]
I am jealous but your report made me even more excited for my own trip as I leave on one month for my AK trip.
Nice report! Now if I can only hook into something at 230 lbs.

Macscabin
[signature]
LB: I'm glad you had a good time, the pics are great! BUT: was it worth the cost to go up there? Just curious, its something I've always wanted to do, and I have a former boss that has a summer home up there in one of those fly-in-fly-out communities (no roads to the place they live in the summer, he says when you need to go grocery shopping its a 3 day trip, fly out, shop, fly home and he hauls over 1000 lbs of groceries/supplies back home with them, too rich for me, but could be fun for a while.

Did you only ocean fish? or river fish also, get any good pics of moose/bear any other wildlife? Moose are my favorite animal, so I like pics of them.

250 lbs of fish is quite a haul, you bee enjoying it for a long time, friends bring it back and its always better than what you get in the stores, even if they say its been flown in the day before. Enjoy it, its really the best ever especially the halibut...
[signature]
Flyfishingmoose,
I tought it was worth it. Roundtrip plane tickets $540 (no layovers),then around $170 for the guided trips on the river or out to sea. Hotel around $35 a night, ($140 a night split 4 ways). Food was not much more expensive than here. Gas $2.75 a gal. We spent around $1500 each for the 5 day trip. We had 2 halibut charters and 1 river charter on the Kenai. You could spent alot more or alittle less. We fished the rest of the time on our own. Good halibut is $15 a pound. I am glad I went. Alaska is a beautiful state. We meet alot of nice people and had a great time. There is wildlife everywhere. We saw moose 5 minutes from the sportsmans warehouse store in Anchorage. Have a good one.
[signature]
Thanks LB, that's what I was hoping for, I've been wanting to go, now I have justification, just need to find the funds.
[signature]
Sounds like it was a great trip! I am anxious to get up there to catch some salmon!
[signature]
[cool]That looks like a blast. Reminds me of a trip my grandpa took me on when I was 16. Here's a link to that place:

[url "http://www.langara.com/site/"]http://www.langara.com/site/[/url]
[signature]