Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tackle for trout
hi there. I'm new to the forum and just want to ask what takle to use when fishing for rainbows and brown trout?Thanks!![Wink]
[signature]
Hello Fish00,
Welcome to the BFT message boards.

For Rainbows typically you want a light or ultra light set up. A smaller spinning reel with 2 to 6 pound test line. I like to go lighter if I am fishing any kind of bait (inflated night crawlers, power bait, worms, etc...) and heavier if I am fishing spinners (wardens rooster tails, mepp's, etc...). You'll waant to go heavier fishing the browns but I have not done a ton of brown trout fishing so someone else can probably give you more info on that one.

Good luck, and please drop back by and let us know how you do!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
power bait should catch plenty of bows. ive not caught too many browns this way though. for browns i use mostly flies. a renegade pattern is my favorite. good luck to ya!
[signature]
I tend to use nightcrawlers and powerbait or marshmellow's comgo especially if u might have some weeds on the lake bed the marshmellow or powerbait floats the crawler up had a lot of luck up in the sierras fishing like that. I had luck just on powerbait as well with a split shot about 3 feet up. As for lures i just was up in utah fishing on a lake had amazing sucess with small krocodile spoon with rainbowtrout colors cought literally 30 fish in a couple hours (Rooster Tails, Crank Baits, even some dry flies on a regular spinning reel works. I do beleive as for rainbows and browns are concern browns are much harder to catch not because they are rarer but they tend to be smarter and more picky just my experiance with them.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey fish00,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Bows and Browns are somewhat different, but they are still basically trout. You can get both on just about the same tackle and gear depending on your area. Tactics can be similar as well - with some adjustments.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Here are some "over-generalizations" [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]In my area, bows tend to feed a little higher up in the water column and more during the day. Browns on the other hand, hunker down lower and feed more at night. Of course this depends on weather, season, local food availability.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I use light weight gear for most trout. 2-6 lb mono will do. Or if I am fly fishing, a 4-6X tippit.[/size][/black]
[size 3][black]Keep in mind, if the body of water you are fishing holds really big fish, you might want to up-size a little. [/black][/size]
[black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[signature]
Thanks!!![Wink]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there fish00 - My preference is a fly rod. Otherwise like theangler said a light weight system works real well. My spinning setup includes one reel with 4lb and the spare spool with 6lb test. Power bait seems to fit their diet - God only knows why. My favorite rig set up would be the Carolina. Since power bait floats this is a natural setup. Good luck.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: carolina.jpg]
[signature]
Hey DRY ROD good choice.
I use the same carolina rig set up as well the bigger trout in my area seem to be a lil wiser. Yep as soon as they feel any tension on the line or on the rig they spit the hook. I find the younger smaller trout not to be as smart. You can just use a pickerel rig or what ever. So how do you trick the bigones? Heres how open your spool after casting the rig, let the fish when useing this combo freely able to take line when needed. How much line is enough? I let them take about 5 ft of the line you will see the line spooling off your reel watch it and count. I generally just count to ten slowly and then set the hook!! and hang on. Dont get excited if its a lil trout they wont drag it very far but the big bows have no trouble spooling line off your reel.[Wink Not a big fan of the power bait but a inflated nightcrawler now were talking.
[signature]
Welcome to BIg Fish Tackle fish00!

My husband and I went trout fishing on the Iillinois river below the Tenkiller Damn on a river trip we took.

This was my first time fishing for trout so I didn't know what to expect. We used a really light rod and reel (just as the other big fishers suggested) and tied on the smallest hook I've ever seen!

I couldn't believe it when my husband opened a small can of Del Monte whole kernal corn and began to insert a single kernal on my hook. All along I had thought the corn was for us to eat!!

We caught trout after trout until we actually got tired of reeling them in. To this day if we're trout fishing, the Del Monte corn comes along with us!
[signature]
roster tails work great for trout.
[signature]