Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 07/28 Report
Friend and I tried for Kokes on the Soldier side early this morning - no Kokes but a few cuts (one nice one ~ 24") and a couple small rainbows. After a couple of hours not catching Kokes we headed to the Ladders and hammered them with tube jibs. Caught around 25 in a hour and a half before we had to cruise. Fish were fairly thick in 38' of water just out from the point (overlook??) SE of the Ladders. 4" pure white and 3" white/black flecked did the damage.
[signature]
Schweet!![cool] I think i may try it pretty soon. Are the kokes going to turn on like they are on the gorge? I have an unforseen addiction to those little silver bullets! I need to catch a few.[sly]
[signature]
Sure sounds like a lot of fun. Too bad you couldn't find the kokes up there.
[signature]
I'm not sure about the Kokes turning on at Strawberry, this is the first time I have fished for them up there - today was not encouraging. Probably will take a few trips messing around to learn them a little better. Not a lot of guys have them figured out, unlike the Gorge where they can be caught fairly easily. I know SockeyeSlayer and a couple other guys do alright up there, so it can be done.
[signature]
We were there yesterday also but never found the fish grouped up that you did. We also tried fishing by the ladders but we never tried that area by the overlook, we fished West of there around the island. We tried for the kokes between Haws point and the launch area but no luck. We ended up catching 30 plus cutts trolling with downriggers and flatfish in 25 to 40 ft of water. How did you end up finding that big concentration of fish?
[signature]
where is the overlook point you are talking about... can you see it from the shore??
[signature]
It is about a mile from the ladders on US40 . [url "http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=12&n=4449521&e=491136&s=100&size=l&u=1"]Click Here for map[/url]
Look for the little red [#ff4040]X [#000000].[/#000000] [#000000]And yes you can see it from shore .[/#000000][/#ff4040]
[signature]
We lucked out finding the fish, just cruised through my GPS'ed honey holes until we found them, though 100+ days on that lake over the last couple of years probably helped as well. HA69's post shows the point we were off and slightly N., it's hard to not to stop and fish when you get over a few fish, but it's worth the time to keep looking until you get over a big school. Mark a waypoint or drop a buoy and get 'em.
[signature]
Sounds like you found those honey holes the old fashion way, by spending time on the lake. I haven't fished the Berry in 3 years or so but the fish were still in the same area we fished the last time out. We were catching fish trolling but not big numbers or the bigger fish, so we thought we would try jigging, I guess we should have stuck with the trolling at least we were catching them. We did see one good group of fish but they did not want anything to do with our jigs. All we had were worms, so that could have been part of the problem.
[signature]
That area is where one of the old camps was. Last time I was in that area you could still see some of the old shacks on your fish finder. I have always caught fish there.
[signature]