Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips on shrimping
Well for starters hello to all. I've been an avid fisher my whole life, but just recently started "exploring" into saltwater. Having been raised that if you were'nt bass fishing...you were'nt fishing...I've been amazed at whatelse there is out there. My brother and I made a trip to Murrells Inlet a few months back (he was brought up the same as I) and since then we've been every weekend. I've always been interested in shrimping, having heard others talk about it, but untill recently its never been possible. I've read what I've been able to find online in regards to how to shrimp...but alot of the information is rather vague. I was hoping that someone may could shed a little light on the topic. I already have a "baiting" permit, and I can already throw a cast net. Outside of that I'm pretty much in a fog though. I've seen shrimp in the inlet, but I have NO idea of when or where to go. I'm not looking for anyones "secret" spot, but rather just a general idea of when/where I should go. Is Murrells Inlet a waste for shrimping? Would I be better off in Winyah bay or offshore? Any tips or help would be appreciated. Theres so much I'm interested in about saltwater....thought I'd start with this though. thanks
[signature]
Iv always had good luck w/ shrimping in MI i havent been in a while so i dont really know how it is anymore but it used to be really good
[signature]
First and foremost, welcome to bigfishtackle.com!!!!!!!!!!!! It's nice to see someone else around the local area.

As for your question, I grew up in the Surfside/murrells inlet area. I always tossed my cast net off the little bridges in Garden City.

Make sure you go one hour before LOW tide and you can usually get them through 1 hour through rising tide. So, you've got about 2 or 3 hours worth of casting before the water is too high. If you're going down business 17, going towards murrells inlet, there is a car wash on the left. If you take that left by that car wash, there should be a little bridge on that road. That's a good spot.

I noticed you mentioned baiting shrimp. You can still do that in murrells inlet along the creek mouths that are muddy. However, I don't like baiting shrimp as the bait seems to affect the flavor.

Try one of the bridges in garden city, you'll do just fine. Also, the shrimp won't be of good size probably for about another 2 or 3 weeks. That's when it'll be good.

I wish you luck! Make sure and let us know how you do!

Bryan
[signature]
Hey there partner. Make sure and log in next time!!! This way you can track your posts in the future under your log in and you dont' have to hunt them down the hard way!!!!

As for the markers, if you're heading out of the inlet towards the ocean, you're suppose to travel on the right side of the red, and to the left side of the green. On the way back in from the ocean, it's right to green and left to red. They keep you out of the shallows and also give the boats something to go by for when it gets busy, and it does get busy sometimes.

As for what is biting, there is plenty going on right now. Inside the inlet and just outside around the rocks, pinfish, flounder, sheepshead, spadefish, drum, shark, and seabass for starters. If you've got a boat able to go out 3 or 4 miles, you can make paradise reef. There you'll catch all the above to include king and spanish mackerel, cobia, tarpon, and a few other fish.

There's alot going on, it's worth the trip!
[signature]
So how have you made out with the shrimping? Have you been yet?
[signature]
Yeah went down last weekend, sorry have'nt had a chance to post...one of those weeks. We caught 1 pretty good size flounder but not a whole lot else. On the way back in pulled into one of the little creeks just to throw the net a little. There were tons of shrimp right up against the bank, but not a whole lot of size to them. I'd say they were 3-4 inches on average. Hopefully you're right and they'll grow a little in next few weeks.

Tarpon, I noticed in a nother post you said you were from "near Florence"...where abouts? I myself am from Hartsville, my fishing partner is from Effingham. Just curious.
[signature]
Yeppers, i'm right here in Florence. You're probably not too far away from me at all. I actually do alot of fishing in the Little Pee Dee river right there in Galavants Ferry as well. I love hunting down trophy flat heads. [cool]

We get enough people together in the local area that are BFT members, I have no problem loading up my boat and taking us out to the reef one weekend. Maybe if the wife will let me, get a camp site over at one of the state parks and have a few cold ones that night, get up early and head out to the reef. It's nice to get out there really early, the water is always calmer the first half of the day. The crappy part is living as far as I do, I have to get up at 3 in the morning to get the boat in the water by day break.
[signature]
I like bass fishing if i'm with someone else that likes bass fishing. In other words, when I take out my boat, most of the time there is mixed emotions about what everyone wants to fish for. My father in law likes to fish for nothing but catfish. My son likes to fish for bream, and sometimes bass fish; but I find myself untangling his line from snaggs more than me fishing.

I guess i've lost track of what it's like to fish with other anglers that actually know what they are doing, so I don't have to do everything. Now my father in law is pretty good, but I have to drive the boat, handle the anchor, do most of the rigging of terminal tackle, operate the electronics to locate the fish, catch the bait, etc... etc... He's unable to do those things because of his health and in alot of cases lack of experiance. My son is only 10, and he's not able to do alot. He can drive the hell out of my bass boat though, but he can't quite see over the console on my big boat yet. Him being able to drive the bass boat takes a load off my shoulders on the river.

However, the short version answer to your question is yes, I love bass fishing. And as crazy as it sounds, with all the fun toys I have, I prefer bass fisher small private ponds or golf course ponds. I think those are more fun than fishing from a boat.[cool]
[signature]
Private pond bass fishing is my favorite. Not only is the fishing usually better, but theres no traffic to contend with. I've got access to some sweetttt private ponds over in Kingsburg. Theres about 5 ponds or so and each one is HUGE. They hold some awesome fishing! Its not uncommon to go there on a good day and catch 20 plus bass. Of course the bulk of them are small keepers, but I've landed a few over 5lbs. From what I understand the bream and crappie fishing is great there too. When the weather cools a little I'll have to take ya.
[signature]
I'd be game on the fishing trip. Maybe we'll put a small wager on the most and biggest fish. Something like the looser grills the winner a steak, or furnished the post fishing brew. [cool]
[signature]
sounds like a plan! thats our usual bet, well first/most/biggest. soon as the weather cools down a bit its ON!
[signature]
I'll be looking foward to it. It's a shame there aren't a few more motivated anglers in the local area, we could arrange a shin dig. Grill out, have a fishing contest, hell, BFT might even sponsor the event and provide the winner of each catagory a prize. BFT members only of course.[cool]

What do you think about that? Do you know anyone that would be interested in joining BFT? The more the marrier.
[signature]
i'm always up for winning, i mean fishing a tourney.

my brother went to the ponds i spoke of this past weekend. they only managed 10 small bass, so i guess it'll be another month or so before they really take off. spring and fall we kill them there. water doesnt get over about 7 feet deep, i guess hot weather just really gets to them. i'll keep ya posted.
[signature]
[cool]
[signature]