Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non Deet
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]We have all heard about the adverse effect Deet has on fishing line and other sports equipment. Here is some data FYI on Bug Band:[/size][/green][/font]
CARTERSVILLE, Ga. 5/24/04 ? Bug Band, Inc. has introduced the first non-DEET, non-toxic insect repellent that safely and effectively repels all biting insects from mosquitoes and ticks to black flies and "no-see-ums." This is good news for all sportsmen and outdoor enthusiasts who are reluctant to use DEET formulation because of DEET's harmful effects on them and their sporting gear.
The active ingredient in the new BugBand product is Geraniol, an all-natural plant extract derived from the Geranium plant. The entomology department at the University of Florida at Gainesville developed Geraniol after more than 17 years of research. It is pesticide-free, all natural and safe for use on children. Bug Band, Inc. has been granted the exclusive rights for the use of Geraniol, and the company offers the new insect repellent in three convenient applications.
The most convenient form is a band that can be worn on the wrist, around the ankle, through belt loops or even shoelaces. The Band provides the user with 120 hours of protection. When it's not being worn, the band can be stored in a convenient pod that prolongs its use. The Band can be worn in wet, rainy environments?even while swimming? without losing its effectiveness.
BugBand is also available in convenient towelettes and a pump spray bottle. The towelettes are ideal for children and adults for applying directly to the skin. Each package contains two towelettes and they can be easily carried in a pack, tackle box or pocket.
The 4-ounce pump spray bottle is one of the most effective ways of applying the repellent. By spraying the liquid directly on clothing or skin, the Geraniol vapors will form a protective barrier to deter blood-sucking insects from biting.
This spray lotion does not contain any propellants, but relies on a highly effective metered pump sprayer to dispense a fine mist over the area to be treated. It's great for applying around the ankles, wrist or neck, where insects tend to invade clothing. A single use provides hours of insect protection.
Fishermen will appreciate the absence of DEET in BugBand. They won't have to worry about the damaging effect of DEET on fishing line, lures and other tackle.
After conducting more than 4,000 studies on a wide range of blood feeding insects, BugBand has proven to effective against mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, black flies, gnats, chiggers, no-see-ums, and many others. Coalition troops in Iraq have successfully used the bands to repel sand fleas and other biting insects. When compared against products like Citronella, Geraniol proved to be 100 percent more effective. Against products containing comparable amounts of DEET, Geraniol proved to be more effective.

[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Great info Dry Rod. One thing I would like to add about DEET. Evryone knows about the effect on fly line. I recently heard that it is bad for waders also (except maybe Simms with Gor-Tex). So you rub it on your arms and your arms brush your waders...HMMMMM[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]I don't know if I want something on my skin that does that much damage to everything else, so your report is a breath of fresh air.[/black][/font]
[signature]
The Center For Disease Control says that most bug repellent made from natural herbs and plants are not worth a crap for protection beyond 10 minutes. (my interpretation of what they wrote) I did not see an reference to this product specifically.

The CDC says that female mosquitoes, the only ones that bite, are attracted by sweat. They say all insect repellent works by masking the smell of sweat. That being said, this Company is marketing a wrist band as an insect repellent. Based on what the CDC states I don't see anyway that a wrist band is going to protect my arms, neck, face, etc. Makes me suspect any of this companies products and claims.

This web pages says that Bug Band is as effective or more effective than deet at the same concentration.
[url "http://www.outdoorproshops.com/Bug%20Band%202.htm"]http://www.outdoorproshops.com/Bug%20Band%202.htm[/url]
The above webpage lists the tested concentration as 10%. For several hours or more protection the CDC says you need to use a product with 20% (I originally said 25%) or more deet in it.
(From looking at products at stores 10% is pretty typical concentration for natural based repellent products)

The CDC still recommends DEET for extended exposure or dense concentration of mosquitoes; ....... such as we see in fly fishing.

DEET will eat plastics such as fly line, waders, etc. so after applying to yourself you need to wipe clean your hands. I have used deet for years and never had anything eaten up by it. ..... I had better knot on wood. ..... I knocked on my head, that should do.

You can get deet in concentrations up to 100%. However, the CDC says that beyond 30% DEET concentration the addition protection declines sharply and that using a product with 50% or more gives not additional protection. They recommend a product with 20 to 35% deet.

I think I will stick with using DEET. It appears to still be the best. With West Nile Virus being a concern I figure I can replace all of my fishing equipment less expensively than one bought with West Nile.

For people over 50 West Nile Virus is a lot more likely to cause a severe case and much more likely to kill you.

For additional protection the CDC also recommends applying Permethrin to your clothes several hours prior to use. It must be dry before using the clothing. Permethrin should not be applied to your skin.

This page has links to articles at the CDC, New England Journal of Medicine, and webmd about West Nile Virus and/or insect repellents.

[url "http://www.westdenvertu.org/Fishing.htm#virus"]http://www.westdenvertu.org/Fishing.htm#virus[/url]

If you run out and buy this Bug Band product and you go out fishing where the mosquitos are thick please report back here. It would be good to know how it goes.

stay safe and may you always have a tight line.
[signature]
Thanks Scuffy. Very good report!
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I bought some stuff up in Idaho that is suppose to be awesome (out in my gear bag so, will get back with the name. Does contain Deet.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]My sister sent me some little battery operated zappers, that I wore last time out (could hear a high pitch ring from them) they worked great but limited to coverage so I got this new stuff. Mosquitoes went after my hands bad at the lodge, but nothing else, due to the Zappers so the repelent should work great.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]There is cases of West Nile in the town up by the lodge, which doesn't excite the heck out of me, so extra protection and the waders are on their own.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
now ya tell me,

thirty years ago I lost a bunch of lures soft plastics and tackle box due to chemical melt down caused be a leeky bug reppelent stored in my box, and it was a brand new 35 dollar box... and my favorite rapalla got eaten, and it cant be replaced.

the new modles are not made the same, where the plastic bill was I had replaced it with a pull off tab from a strosh beer can.... best bass lure I ever had...
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Many years ago the plastic worms or what ever material that they were made of, would stick to the new plastic tackle boxes which just came on the market place.. [Oh yes I can remember when they were first introduced to the fishing world. I still have one of those plastic box & an old metal tackle box rusting away in my garage]. Actually they were like welded together. In fact worms made by different manufactures would stick to one another if placed next to each other. Needless to say that todays artifical baits and plastic tackle boxes are made from completely different formulars.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Maybe it works something like the flea collars used on cats & dogs.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
If you are still resistant to using a DEET based product you might try one with Picaridin:

There are now products with 15% Picaridin (such as Cutter Advanced Sport Spray) that claim up to 10 hr. protection . The CDC information does not address anything except 7% picaridin.

[font "Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]"Studies show that picaridin works as well as similar concentrations of DEET, while oil of lemon eucalyptus repels insects oil of lemon eucalyptus repels insects about as well as low concentrations of DEET. Because picaridin is only available in a 7% formulation, neither product will prevent mosquito bites for as long as high-concentration DEET will, CDC officials say." [url "http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/105/107767.htm?pagenumber=1"]From webmd[/url][/size][/font]
[font "Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]Picaridin advantages - (from [url "http://www.picaridin.com/"]www.picaridin.com[/url]):
"Odorless. Pleasant skin feel"
"Not a solvent to plastics, coatings, sealants. Will not damage plastics or synthetic materials"[/size][/font]

Here is a quote from the 2002 New England Journal of Medicine article about testing they did:

"No non-DEET repellent fully evaluated in this study was able to provide protection that lasted more than 1.5 hours. Only the soybean-oil–based repellent was able to provide protection for a period similar to that of the lowest-concentration DEET product we tested (94.6 and 88.4 minutes, respectively).[/url] "
[signature]
Wristband products - Here is a quote from the New England journal of medicine report:

"Repellent-impregnated wristbands, containing either 9.5 percent DEET or 25 percent citronella (by weight), protected the wearer for only 12 to 18 seconds, on average. "
[signature]
One should not get paranoid about getting bit by a mosquito because only a very small precentage carry the disease but you should take some precautions.

Here is a short story by a fishing buddy of mine that contracted West Nile Virus from fishing.

[url "http://www.westdenvertu.org/Fishing%20Report/2005WestNileVirus.htm"]http://www.westdenvertu.org/Fishing%20Report/2005WestNileVirus.htm[/url]
[signature]
I had a couple bags of those worms that stuck together, when I threw them out it was 25 years before I bought another soft plastic worm, actualy some one sent me a sample pack with two of several different modles. so now those are the only modles I use now, they worked so I will continue to buy them.... and now they last several years in the box...
[signature]