Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Fork of the Henry's Fork (near Lyman Lake, North Slope Uintas)
Wow, that is a mouthful (keyboardful)!!! I do not know anything else about this mountain stream in the Uintas, except that it drains into the Green River Drainage, and is 17 miles in on a rough dirt road east of the Bear River Ranger station off the Mirror Lake Highway.

Last weekend, we had a family reunion of sorts and drove out to Little Lyman Lake Campground, which is off of Hwy 150, 17 miles in on a horrible dirt road (I pulled a popup tent trailer up there....bad idea). It was a beautiful area though.

Saturday, my dad and I hit the stream about 3/4 to a mile east of Little Lyman Lake. The map says it is the North Fork of the Henry's Fork, I believe. Anyway, it was TONS of fun!!! I started out casting a #1 Gold Mepps spinner, and quickly caught 5 trout -- 1 little brookie and 4 colorado river cutts. These native cutts were BEAUTIFUL colorful fish!! I then switched to my flyrod and proceeded to catch around 10 or so more beautiful wild trout. 1 more brookie and the rest native cutthroat trout.

All were between 5 and 10 inches is all, but they were beautiful fish and average sized for the uintas.

My dad ended up with 16 fish: 2 whitefish, 6 brookies and 8 cutts. It was a ton of fun.

All of the fish I caught on my flyrod I caught with an Adams Irresistable (Adams with a spun deerhair body), size 12, that I tied myself.

The bugs were not bad at all (only a few flies, and with a little DEET none bothered me, and almost no mosquitos). It was fun, but I don't know if I'd want to make that drive again. It was an aweful road to travel pulling a trailer and a pregnant wife! lol

Sorry, no pictures. I left the camera back at camp when I went out fishing, and boy am I MAD I did!!

Here are some pics of little lyman lake, though.
[Image: uintaslittlelymanlake.jpg]

[Image: uintaslittlelymanlake2.jpg]
[signature]
[size 1]"It was an aweful road to travel pulling a trailer and a pregnant wife! lol"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]You are a cruel husband, next time how about letting the wife ride inside of the vehicle?[Wink][/size]
[signature]
Having started my fly fishing career on that river, I'd have to agree with ya. The fish aren't big, but they are beautiful for sure. You would be describing the west fork of the blacks fork river bro, not the henry's fork. The henry's is located near the alligator lake trailhead. Try fishing lyman at all?
[signature]
You're right. My mistake. It is the blacks fork.
[signature]
I was up there about 5 years ago, and it was exactly like you described, only I caught tons of little brookies and only one cutt over several days. Maybe the cutts are rebounding? Or has the DWR introduced more cutts there?

The west fork of the blacks was fun.
[signature]
I didn't fish Lyman at all, but some of my family did, catching a few planter sized rainbows and that was it, and one teeny brook.

Lyman and Little Lyman are stocked with brookies and rainbows, but I do not think they stock the streams. These are native cutts in there.
[signature]
If you ever want to go back drive up I-80 and there are a couple ways of getting to the Black's Fork and Henry's Fork from the north in Wyoming. The roads are much better. The road only gets rough as you move up (south) toward the 2 tributaries of the Black's Fork. But even this isn't so bad. It takes me less than 2 hours to get to the Black's and about 2 and a half to get to Henry's form SLC even with a trailer. I actually find the Henry's Fork to be much better fishing. I think I've only caught cutts in Henry's Fork but that's what I would prefer to do anyway. Don't drive from Lonetree WY to the Henry's however as this is fairly rough with a trailer.
[signature]