Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wnd River Info.
Hey guys,

My bud and I are planning a trip to the Wind River area in June. Would like to know any suggestions on type and size of nymphs to take along. Will probably try several lakes but specefically Thumb lake will be our starting point. Thanks!

[crazy]Leaky
We did a pack trip in there a few years back. Wow, neat country. Seven days in the middle of nowhere. I remember the fish were easy to catch. I stood on top of a huge boulder that put me about eight feet above the water, roll cast a royal coachman out there and watched several fish rise in the perfectly clear water to take the fly at once. Time after time. I cant say for the non-remote lakes, because we didnt fish them, but back in a ways it was easy, no matter what you used. One thing, there were several small creeks that linked some of the lakes. If you get into any of that, fish the creeks, they hold fish, and probably get overlooked by most visitors. It was fun. I was the only one who brought a camera, and it was worth packing it in. beautiful country, and even photoed some deer one morning.
[signature]
Leaky, I saw your post on the Wyoming board and so I just e-mailed a good friend from Green River WY and invited him to join and participate in the board there. He is an excellent fly fisherman and fly tier. I think he is familiar with that area and should have a lot of information to share. I asked him to respond to your post so watch for it.
[signature]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Leaky,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]The Wind Rivers is a place that is very dear to my heart. As a Boy Scout, we went there EVERY year for a week. It is there where I "learned to fish" or rather learned to love fishing. To this day I have several hand-painted original pictures of some of the lakes and mountains from the Wind Rivers hanging in my home. Back then I was clueless about the concept of "fly fishing". I just took my old Mitchel 300, 2 dozen Royal Coachmans, and 1 dozen bubbles (the kind you fill with water). We would just thread our main line through the bubble and terminate the main line with swivel snap. Then put 3 feet of 4# leader onto the snap. Then we would terminate the leader with a Royal Coachman. (This is a style that I'll bet ole Teroy can tell you more about.) We didn't "cast" our lures ... we would do the "two-handed HUCK" to get that 1/2 full bubble almost into the next state! There would be a lot of rises and every other cast (if not every cast) we would bring in supper and a Smile. Those are some mighty fine memories.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]A guy I work with goes up there quite often and he likes to fly fish in the streams using a Royal Coachman (dry) with a nymph (wet) trailer.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Anyway, thanks Leaky for bringing back those good memories.[/size][/font][/size]
[signature]