Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It wasn't in the cards!
[font "Times New Roman"][green][size 3]Well here is my story. Spent ten days in Wyoming fishing several sections of the Snake, Flat Creek, Gros Ventre & Pacific Creek. The temperature certainly wasn’t cooperating. Every day was over 90º. I wasn’t having any luck finding deep pools or over hanging brush where the trout could find refuge from the hot blazing sun. The water was 58º which was nice and cool for my lower extremities but too dam hot topside. Several spots were I had good success in the past were all closed to traffic [foot & otherwise] due to the Eagles & Ospreys still nesting. Anyhow I inquired at Orvis about some likely spots to fish. Hunted high and low for their recommended turn off to the Snake. Never did find it. But I found a nice area at the confluence of the Snake & Flat Creek. Finally got a couple of strikes. As I was changing my fly I hear a man & woman talking. There was no one around when all of a sudden this couple comes paddling in their kayaks down Flat Creek. They stopped right in front of me and asked how is the fishing going? Lucky for them I wasn’t packing my 45. Needless to say no more strikes nor fish to be seen. That afternoon I asked a fellow doing construction work on a house next to where I was staying as to a good place to fish. Could see his waders and boots in the back of his pick up. He suggested fishing the Gros Ventre at the Elks National Refuge. Well I headed out that way the next day but first stopped in at Orvis to inquire about which fly’s to use. The fellow quickly informed me that that area was closed until August 1st. and I would be subject to a hefty fine if I was caught fishing there. So much for friendly advise. To top off my string of bad luck once I did find a promising spot I couldn’t fish in more than a ½ hour as my back was given me all kinds of problems. Oh well there is always next year.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][green][size 3]Did see a school of fish that I thought I would share with you all.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17760;]
[signature]
[laugh]Oh well, if nothing else, Dryrod you are the master of entertaining tales, and a heckuva photographer as well.

Too bad.
In the absolute pinnacle of Fly Rod country and too hot to fish. Not disgusting at all though. You had the trip and enjoyed the best the U.S. had to offer.
I sure hope that area does not get closed off by the private land holders, as in Arkansas.

That water in your photo was so clear. I'd almost forgotton about that. Nothing like that down here.

Even so, your story makes me want to shake out my fly rod and give it a whip this evening.
If they wont hit a fly in the daylight, maybe after dark, eh?
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Thanks for the kudos Thudpucker. I guess a bad fly fishing trip beats any time dreaming about it.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Absolutly Beautiful! Sorry about the fishing. At least you were out there. I haven't been fishing for about three weeks now and it is killing me. But at least I get to watch others catch fish[mad]
I am back up there this week, will be back Friday, leave in the morning.
Take care all, and tight lines
[signature]
Boy does that look good down near those weedy shallows.
You know there's a stream coming into a lake that size.
With a drop off, just into the lake from the stream.
And something big waiting for a Bi-vizable or a Horse tail.

A lake like that is just aching for somebody to find the 'high spot' out nearer the deep part of the lake.
Then you cast those nymph's into the deep, and mooch them up the slant toward the surface.
Imitating something inching it's way up to the surface.

A nice quiet evening of that, and I'd be ready to take on the world again.
I'm afraid if I got out there in your Tube, the R n' R effect would take over, and I'd go sound to sleep.

Dry Rod, someday you'll have to take the Western Route through B.C. on your way up to Alaska.
B.C. and the Yukon territory has some lakes like you've photo'd.
I always wanted to stop and fish, but never did.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Well it wasn't all that bad. Here my buddy, my 5 yr old grand nephew and I are having a cool one. I have been teaching him how to fish. His attention span is rather short but that also happens when one gets older. Any points for the BFT?[/size][/green][/font] [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17769;]
[signature]