Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake 8/5/06.
Took my wife's uncle,got there a daybreak but shouldn't have even bothered launching the boat. I have never seen the water so muddy and churned up. Had a hard time holding the anchor in the waves (any tips on a better anchoring system?) Had couple on but lost in the reeds. Tryed worms, shrimp,carpmeat. Worst day ever on Utah Lake, came home skunked.
This is in regards to your anchoring problem.For mud or soft bottom, I use a danforth or navy style anchor (the kind with prongs).A good length of chain is neccessary to help the anchor lay on the bottom and dig in.or.Lastly, let out a lot of anchor line.If you don't, the anchor will just hang straight up and down.Even if its not windy,I let out a lot just in case the wind does come up. Nothing worse than having the fish gather up under you only to have the anchor drag and drift you off the fish.A stern anchor is also good as it will keep the boat from swinging around.Make sure that you let out extra bow anchor line.Then, drop your stern anchor and motor ahead pulling in excess bow line so that the stern line gets a good angle like the bow line has.For my 13' boat, I use 15lb. anchors and 6' of chain.If I am in 15' of water ,for example, I will let out 30' of anchor line. Hope this helps you.
[signature]
Slow fishing and muddy water seems to be a reoccurring theme for Utah lake these days.
Like Tudedude said, It may take a few days for the water and the fishing to settle down.
We were there yesterday and have pretty much the same experience.
Very slow and very muddy.
[signature]