Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARCHERY DEER
I broke down this year and bought a new bow and a archery tag been doing muzzleloader for the last five years i have no bow hunting experiance so i was wondering if anybody could give me some tips i would appreciate anything someone has to offer
[signature]
Congrats on making the switch! I will warn you that it is addicting. Hope you were able to afford a good set up. They are really worth the money.

Bow hunting is a lot like the smoke poles. I am sure that you have got the camo and can work on sent elimination, but my biggest tips are always first keep the wind in your favor and put your time in to practicing and scouting. Best of luck. Little less than 14 days left til I hope to be slingn' some slivers. Jake
[signature]
I have 3 words for ya: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Learn to judge yardage and be confident with your abilities before you take a shot. It is the worst feeling to know you put a bad shot on a trophy animal or missed the buck of a lifetime because you didn't make a good shot. I hit a large buck 2 years ago(28+" 5x5) and thought it was a good shot. After 2 days and 7 miles, i realized it was not a good shot and sold the bow the fallowing week. I will never hunt archery again because of that incident. Total lack of confidence on yardage was the main culprit. It looked like double lungs but i think it was too high and back too far. Just make sure before you let er' fly and good luck.
[signature]
The best advice I could give you is to be patient. A couple years ago I had my little brother set up on a decent 25" 3X4 at 45 yards. Wind was perfect. He couldn't see us in our blue jeans and tee shirts. All it was was a waiting game till the shot presented itself.

The problem? My brother was 14. He'd never shot at anything. He got antsy, drew back too soon, and let the arrow fly over the bucks back.

My motto for the archery anymore is scout hard, find water, pattern the bucks, and don't give Tyler the bow! LOL.

As long as your in an area where theres water, deer, and you're good enough with your bow, you should do fine. Have a great hunt. I sure do wish I could be out there with a bow opening morning. Maybe I'll try getting my bro another buck.
[signature]
Practice is key! Also do not take shots you are not comfortable taking. Become good at estimating yardages. A big problem is that you think the deer is closer than he really is. No one is perfect all the time, but it is better and more ethical to not take the shot, than to risk wounding and not recovering an animal. Good luck and have fun.
[signature]
Thanks everybody for all the good info does anybody still hunt from tree stands or blinds and is there an advantage to that or does everybody just do spot and stalk
[signature]
I've hunted ground blinds, treestands, roads, woods, but I haven't done spot and stalk...yet. I can't say which method is better. People say deer can't see you in a stand...that's bull. I've had deer peg me out of a stand before. No movement, they just nail your outline and it's game over. Ground blinds are a little more intense, as you are on the same level as the deer, so one little goof up when they are looking and they are gone! I like to road hunt, but on foot. Find a nice trail that gets little use, even an old 2 track that is closed to MV travel, and take a nice walk along it. You can come across a lot of game that way. Go have fun, and good luck. It will be a learning experience if nothing else.
[signature]
I moderate the "Hunting" board, you should post some of your questions over there as well. We've been having a little discussion about archery as of late.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=71"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=71[/url];
[signature]
MOORE BIG DEER ARE TAKIN SPOT AND STALK THAN ANY OTHER METHOD. ITS LIKE THIS. MOST BOW HUNTERS GET OUT OF THE TRUCK AND HEAD INTO THE TIMBER OR BRUSH. WHAT IS GOING THREW THEIR MINDS? I HOPE I SEE A BUCK TODAY. THATS WHAT. WHEN I GET OUT OF THE TRUCK I SAY HOPE I SEE A BIG ENOUGH BUCK TODAY. BIG DIFFERANCE. SEE SPOTTING YOU GET TO A VERY HIGH VANTAGE TAKE OUT THE OPTICS AND START TO HUNT LETTING YOUR EYES DO THE LEG WORK. SEE THE OTHER GUY GETS TO WALKED OR BLUNDER THREW THE WOODS AIMLESLEY HOOPING TO SEE A DEER. WAISTED ENERY AND MOORE IMPORTANTLEY TIME. SEE WHEN I TAKE MY FIRST STEP I AREADY KNOW WHERE THE BUCK IS ALL I HAVE TO DO NOW IS CLOSE IN. THIS IS THE HARD PART. SEE SOMETIMES IM SPOTING DEER 1 TO 3 MILES AWAY. WATCH THEM MAKE THERE DAY BED. DRAW A MAP OF WHERE IT IS LYNING DOWN AND BEST APROACH ROUT. THEN I GET TO GO BACK TO CAMP. COOK A GOOD MEAL, TAKE A NAP, THEN A SHOWER HUNTING STYLE. BUDDY POURING PAN OF HAT WATER OVER ME, GET SOME FRESH CAMO AND HEAD BACK TO WHERE I FIRST STARTED THE DAY SPOTING. ONCE THERE I RESPOT THE BUCK, NOW IF HE HAS NOT GOTTEN UP TO MOVE HE IS ASLEPE JUST LIKE AN OLD DOG ON THE POURCH CHIN ON THE GROUD CATCHING Z,S. NOW MY HUNT STARTS AND I HEAD IN WITH MAP IN HAND. SOMETIMES GETTING WITHIN10 YRDS OF THE SLEEPING BUCK. SOME TIMES EVEN CLOSER. HOWEVER I STILL HUNT GROUND BLINDS AND TREE STANDS. I JUST PATERN THE DEER IF THERE IS A GOOD AMBUSH SPOT IM ALL OVER IT. EATHER BUILDING A TREE STAND OR BLIND. THE BEST ADVICE I EVER GIVE IS IF YOU HAVE 7 DAYS OFF SCOUT 3 HUNT 4. RATHER THAN HUNT 7 AND HOPE.
[signature]
thanks for all the info ive been following a couple of smaller 4x4 the past few weeks i hopeing to get on something alitle beter so im taking the rest of the week to scout
[signature]
1 word for ya! TREESTAND!! I've bowhunted & muzzle hunted for years and 90% of the time walking thru the woods the deer will almost always hear you,smell you or see you way before you even know he is their but from treestand they hardly ever know what happened after the arrow went thru him[Wink]
[signature]
What brand of tree stand do you recomend and do you just set up right on the trail
[signature]
I use a Loggy Bayou XL climbing stand really good stand I usually set up somewhere in a middle of intersecting trails or right on a good treeline.
[signature]
YOU ARE RIGHT MOST TIMES DEER WILL SEE SMELL OR HEAR A HUNTER WALKING THREW WOODS. BUT WHEN THE HUNTER KNOWS WHERE THE ANIMAL IS BEFORE HE STARTS WALKING HE CAN GET REALY CLOSE. IF HE MINDS THE WIND. MOST IMPORTANT. USES AVAIL COVER TO CONCEAL AND TAKES OFF HIS BOOTS TO BE QUIET. ITS A CAKE WALK. ITS THE NERVES THAT BLOW MOST GOOD OPPERTUNITIES. I LIKE STANDS WHEN THE FOREST IS SO DRY ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO PUT A SNEAK ON THEM. A GREAT BOOK BY DWIGHT SCHEW IS CALLED HUNTING OPEN COUNTRY MULE DEER. THIS IS MOST SPOT AND STALKERS BIBLE. IT SHOWS MANY DIFFENT FACTORS FOR HUNTING BIG MULE DEER. EVEN IF YOU HAVE HUNTED DEER FOR 60 YRS YOU WILL LERN FROM THIS BOOK AND BECOME A FAR BETTER AND MOORE COMPLETE HUNTER. MY CLOSEST HAVEST WAS 6 YRDS ON A DANDY BULL ELK EYE TO EYE.
[signature]
I heard that book was a good book! Yea Chuck told me the story of your big elk you stuck within spitting distance, that must of been so intense I think I would've been empting my shorts after that[blush] Thats awesome dude!
[signature]
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check out that book. You should get some photos of your bull and post them in the picture post on the Hunting board.
[signature]
when did he tell you about that? were you the elk guy that went scouting with him mon and tues? he said another guy was only looking for the elk. and he didnt give me his name. elk are my true passion!!!! i only fish because i cant hunt big game yr round. that bull had me pinned face to face for about 2 minnuts no cover between us and me kneeling up against a giant old dead pine tree. he could have killed me easy one step closer and i was a shishkabob.
[signature]
i have a couple at home but none on the computer. maybee i can get some scanned from a freind. i might be able to find some of my 190 point 4x5 as well. 20 inch forks on the rear and 17 inch forks on the front with a 5 inch kicker off the g 3.
[signature]
Sounds great. If you need any help getting posted up let me know.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]Only one week left! WOOOHOOOOO!!!![laugh][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]