Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Lures on the Market-by Jen
Sorry, got the name a little wrong. It's the "Buzz'n Frog" by Rebel. Here's what they look like. I bought one last year and haven't used it yet.

[Image: T-4-60.jpg]

Basically, it's a buzz-bait that looks like a frog.
[signature]
Wow, they look really interesting! I'll be interested to hear what you think once you use it. I bought a package of green plastic frogs with red plastic eyes (similar to stick on doll eyes) from Berkley that look very realistic. However the legs are fairly skinny and the whole frog body twists quite a bit in the water. I haven't caught any bass with it yet. Has anyone had an incredible experience fishing with frogs? If so, what brand? Why do you like them? P.S. A friend of mine named James from Central Florida Yamaha told me when fishing in pads, use Carolina Lunker Sauce and your lures will slip right off of the pads and into the wholes exactly where you want them! I've tried it and it does make a huge difference.
[signature]
I've enjoyed a lot of success this year with the Sizmic Toads, and in previous years with the Harrison-Hoge Super Frog and an older version called the Real Frog.

The big trick with frog fishing is location and patience.
[signature]
I know the X-Rap series is not all that new, but I have noticed that many Bass Tards aren't including it in their arsenal.
Of course there is no "magic" bait, but as far as versatility goes, I would have to say the X-Rap series is amongst the leaders. The depth range (1'-6') is ideal for just pre-spawn, post spawn and summer when bass are holding near shallow ledges with quick access to deep water or on the deeper edge of weeds/grass/lilies.
You can suspend it, burn it, slash it or slow roll it. In fact I bet there are almost an infinite number of ways you can fish to coax pigs into chomping whether a reaction or a feeding strike - regardless of their temperament. Not to mention they cast like bullets.
I have four basic colors and two sizes and they have been the most consistent producers of my entire lure repertoire.
On the big X-Raps I have nailed a number of pigs and hawgs in the 5lb-7.5lb range this year.

-ABT-
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]X-Rap huh? If they have been the most consistent producers in your entire tackle box, I'm going to add one to mine as well!

Thanks Fishaholic for your input and advice too. I'm definitely going to check this one out as well!
[signature]
I just started field-testing the Sizmic Toads this year, in fact, just 2 months ago...and on days when no one could buy a hit I was getting 6 - 10 keeper bass...this bait's a keeper.[Wink]
[signature]
Sweeeet![Wink]
[signature]
Glad to hear someone has caught fish on the x-rap. Haven't got a thing in two years useing it here in the NE.
[signature]
My first ever Largemouth was on a Scum Frog popper.

[Image: sfp-202.jpg]

Just throw it into the pads, slowly reel it in, giving it a jerk once in a while, or letting it drop into the holes. I've had some success with it. Most bites came when I had the tale just danging off the edge of a pad with the front half of the body sitting on the edge.
[signature]
[reply]
Glad to hear someone has caught fish on the x-rap. Haven't got a thing in two years useing it here in the NE. [/reply]

medium stain, affording about 3 feet of good visibility) and work my way to the bright colors and larger sizes. Each one is fished in every way that comes to mind. Naturally this is still no guarantee but as I mentioned, this is a pretty consistent producer.
I keep an accurate fishing log every time I go out and it reflects a 38% success rate and no bass under 2lb 7oz. Average bass caught on them is 4lb 3oz.
I love them and will always recommend them. I hope you have better success the next time you use 'em - don't give up on 'em!

-ABT-
[signature]
Don't know what happened. It cut my reply in half. Oh well.

-ABT-
[signature]
Obviously the X-rap is a confidence bait for some...the reality is this: not all fishing situations are exactly the same; not all fish are in a positive feeding mode; no single lure can do it all the time and in all the diversified situations that arise.

If all you needed was one lure to catch quality fish ALL the time, then there'd be a lot of lure manufacturers going out of business...

I think it's great that someone has a love for the X-rap, I'm not one of them...and, I really don't consider it to be a surface/topwater bait.
[signature]
The rest of my post was cut out but in it I stated as I have before, there is no ONE lure - only the inexperienced or fools believe that.
I am merely stating that it has been the best producer for me.
The reality is: I said 38% effective which means out of a hundred times (sorry it's the instructor in me) of its implementation, I will have a 38% success rate. So if I find it is not producing, I change - simple.
As for it being a top water lure, I never said it was. It's depth range is 1'-6' ... hardly top water.

-ABT-
[signature]
Here Jen, Cabelas had these for sale a couple of years ago. [url "http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm801BNUS"][Image: 36_1_34.gif][/url]

[url "http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb093_ZNxdm801BNUS&utm_id=7921"][Image: sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb093&pp=ZNxdm801BNUS][/url]
[signature]
I have been using the Panther Martin Frogs. They are available in several different colors, sizes and bouyancies. They are weedless and work great for going through many types of structure.[cool]
[signature]
I can't wait for the coming year...we already have a Gander Mountain, they're in the process of building a Cabela's and a Bass Pro Shops store nearby too...within 30 miles of my home, I'll have all three stores to choose from - of course, Bass Pro Shops will be my first "in-store" choice...I'll be able to go and drool to my heart's content.
[signature]
I've been using the Mister Twister Prop Lure for a few years now, trolling for salmon on the Flaming Gorge, and Lake Huron. I buy the basic prop and rig them as you would a spinner blade for a worm harness.
I would have to think that it would make an excellent buzz bait, easier to keep on the surface than metal buzz baits, so that you could crank slower if need be, or easily speed up your retrieve if that is what the fish want... I too saw the lure in Bass Pro and Cabala's, and am thinking of buying some, if I do get them first I'll let you know what I think of them...
Good luck out there Jen, I'm a big fan of yours! We all are! LBD
[signature]
Okay...I have a new favorite drop shot worm. I bought a package of XPS hand-poured drop shot worms from Bass Pro Shop and I lOVE them! I bought the 3 inch life like minnows with a pearl belly.

Check them out if you haven't already.

While I was at Bass Pro Shop, I also bought a window decal that looks like half of a bass is breaking through your backwindow!!! It's awesome!
[signature]
MINIS

Has anyone started using the new mini crank baits? I had some made for me and can't wait to try them out!
[signature]
I have tried the smaller pin minnows, but all I caught where small fish. Haven't had them out of the box for years.Good luck on your crankbait and let us know how they work.
[signature]