Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caddis Emerger Pattern
All,

I lit into a great caddis hatch on the S. Fork of the Ogden River Saturday night and had a great time dry fly fishing in the dark. However, my time would have been even better if I had a good caddis emerge to use prior. We could see the browns taking emergers but alas I had nothing to use. So, I am asking, what is your favorite caddis emerger (I am looking at the sparkle caddis) to use. They were hitting my size 16 cream x-caddis with such force it was awsome. Any patterns, especially those that work on the S. Fork of the Ogden would be great (pictures are welcome). PM me if needed.

Katghoti
[signature]
The Late Great Gary LaFontaine's Sparkling Emerger. Green and kicking Butt big time right now. Fish Rock Creek last night, and we didn't have any either. Used a very small green copper john and it did okay.
[signature]
I love the EC-Caddis in sizes 14-18. I have tons of luck with it in the high Sierras.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there Discman - where abouts are you fishing in the Sierras? One of these days I am going to drive up there and try my luck. Do you float tube?[/size][/green][/font] [center][Image: WoodOwensValley330.jpg][/center]
[signature]
I fish a lot of the smaller creeks such as:

Chiquito
Upper Chiquito
Granite Creek
Jackass creek (one of the few spots you can find brookies, although small, in the nearby Sierras)
San Joaquin
Bear Creek (Upper stretches hold goldens but I have never been up that far)
Yosemite Park (not too often, the fees and crowds can really get to you)
Upper Kings River/Lower Kings River [url "http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news06/06004.html"](check out the trophy trout plant info on this section of the river)[/url]

The fish aren't huge in most of the areas I fish, but they sure are fun. Let me know where you are thinking about heading and when, and I'll see about getting some good info for you.

I don't do any float tubing, but I plan on getting a tube or pontoon in the near future. My dad floats a lot and has a good amount of luck. There is a really good area on Florence lake near the mouth of the San Joaquin river. Other than that, early fall is the best time for the high country. Spring still has tons of snow with lots of road closures And most of summer has water too high and too fast to fish. Sept. is just about right for water temps and level, with all roads open.

There you go, let me know any specifics.
[signature]
I was reading a book today about fishing colorado that said a "patridge and orange" soft hackle (also green or yellow) works well as a caddis emerger pattern.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Oooh ohhh! (as Tim the Tool Man says) I love them partridge soft hackles. They work fantastic on the Provo also. That is my go to fly when nothing else works. In fact I just tied up a bunch of Green and Gray for next weekend. No orange yet, but good idea.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Cool, I would love a pattern for that. I just started to tie up some emergers that seems to work great.

Size 14-16 scud hook
Tail: gold zelon
Abdomen: Olive CDC
Wing: Clear Swiss Straw
Thorax: Cream Rabbit dubbed
Thread: Olive

Instructions: Start the Thread behind the eye and wrap back to the point of the hook. Lay down a good base. Tie in a short piece of zelon extending out (Like an x-caddis, but shorter). Next, tie in the CDC by the tips and wrap it forward 2/3 up. Take a few more wraps at the end to bulk it up some. Tie off and clip excess. Cut a piece of swiss straw, unbunch it and cut it length wise so it is 2 times the width of the body. Lay down over the body about 1/2 the way back and tie in. It should be tented over the abodmen so it looks like the start of wings. Roughly dub the Thorax and pick out. Tie off.

Seems to work good. Next I am going to add a small bit of hackle (one or two turns) and fish it in the film. This one rides just below the film until the CDC is soaked, then it rides high in the water column. Seems to work either way.

katghoti
[signature]
The Patridge and Orange is an old standard. If you google it I am sure you will find a recipe for it. but it is a simple tie of floss for a body, any dubbing for a thorax ball. two turns of partridge.

Some tie the floss with just a layer of floss. Others put several layers on.
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Oooh ohhh! (as Tim the Tool Man says) I love them partridge soft hackles. They work fantastic on the Provo also. That is my go to fly when nothing else works. In fact I just tied up a bunch of Green and Gray for next weekend. No orange yet, but good idea.[/size][/black][/font] [/reply]
[signature]
[reply]
Cool, I would love a pattern for that. I just started to tie up some emergers that seems to work great.

katghoti [/reply]

Had quick access to this info.

It has good info on tying various soft hackles. After looking at it I am sure you will figure out what the Patridge and Orange looks like.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple][size 3]Ah Ha, PURPLE! I tell you guys, something about PURPLE![/size][/purple][/font]
[signature]