Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Wader Fishing
I am still getting reports of fish being caught thru the ice on Wilson but I'm also hearing that the ice is going bad. I haven't got to go the last few days, tax time ya know! I don't recommend that cold swim to anyone! With the last week or so of warmer weather my mind keeps drifting off with thoughts of Spring!! Ice fishing is a blast and I do love it but after awhile pulling those fish thru an 8 inch hole just loses it's glimmer. I long for warmer weather, warmer water in which the fish hit harder and fight like they mean it. Spring time stripers that slam a bait like a freight train, then run you around the boat showing you who's in charge. In years past as soon as ice off came, my partner and I would dig out our waders still wearing our ice fishing apparel as the water was COLD and brave the icy waters. At times we would have to dodge icebergs but usually we caught fish, whites and stripers. I recall one year at Lake Cheney we started the day in hopes of good fishing only to find out that our waders both had leaks. Now leaky waders in 38 degree water is NO FUN but the stripers and whites were hitting so whats a man to do? Neither one of us wanted to leave those feeding fish so we would fish as long as we could stand it, it's hard to set a hook when your teeth are chattering, try it some time! We would then exit to the bank where we had a campfire to dry and warm ourselves and start all over. Of course at sunset when we were the coldest the fish really moved in! We paid our dues that day. I don't fish in waders like I used to but there are still those brave souls out there doing it. The last few springs on Wilson I have witnessed the wadermen catching huge stringers of whites, stripers and walleye. Even a few fly fishermen trying there luck and having some success. I don't know about you but I'm hoping for an early spring. Don't Catch'em ALL,<br><br><br>
I'm glad you enjoy my posts and my site. I do my best to keep as up to date info. as I can. I can remember my first years of striper fishing when I tryed to find out info. people would act like I was pulling there teeth. I Love the sport and try to pass it along. Good Fishing, Madd Jack<br><br>