Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photo of Record Northern
[Image: 0809bigfish_t637.jpg]Courtesy photo
Thornton’s Tim Bone holds a 30-pound, 11-ounce pike outside the Denver Headquarters of the Colorado Division of Wildlife, where it was officially weighed, pending confirmation as a state record catch. Bone caught the 30-pound, 11-ounce fish last Saturday at Stagecoach Reservoir. The state record for a northern pike is 30 pounds, 6 ounces.
[signature]
Thanks RPG-

I hadn't seen that picture. And on Powerbait? What's the old saying?

I'd rather be lucky than good?
[signature]
[reply]
To accidentally catch one when you are fishing for trout and then it may qualify as a record- it is pretty Sad day for the true fishermen that target and C&R them...[#ff0000][/#ff0000] [/reply]

[#ff0000]I don't disagree with you. I personally like to see the big fish released. [/#ff0000]
[#ff0000][/#ff0000]
[signature]
Everybody's entitled to their opinion, Aaron. And no one here is whining. I just like to see the big fish released in a state like Colorado where there is so much pressure on the waters.

I just watched the video on CNN and learned for the first time that this was a fishing trip with the guy's 3 boys. So I've changed my mind and I think it's great he caught the fish. Hope the mount turns out great, too.
[signature]
No problem. I'm not offended. Opinions differ on these issues and reasonable folks can be on opposite sides of every one of these questions.

And, let's face it, Poewerbait or not, a guy does have to have some real skill (and some luck) to land a 30+ lb. pike with 8 lb. test, no steel leader, a tiny bait hook, and a trout sized landing net! I'll bet that whole process was something to see.

I don't doubt that, for the most part, the DOW's intentions are good. It's just that their objectives and regulations may not promote what I would like to see promoted. For instance, I think the removal of the slot limit on lakers on Granby is absurd and I think the same thing about the killing of big lake trout in Blue Mesa that the CDOW is encouraging. There is now a DOW policy that encourages killing big lake trout to protect their hatchery pet kokanee salmon, and I definitely believe that to be misguided. I would much prefer to catch and release a 20-30# lake trout than to troll up a 15" kokanee to slap on the smoker. It doesn't mean I don't like kokanee or kokanee fishermen; I just would prefer a different fishing opportunity.

So, no, I don't trust all of the DOW regulations, because they may not promote the fishery I would like to see. And just because something is legal doesn't make it right.

And, yes, I have a problem with the idiots who kill & keep 60 fish, or who use live bait in artificial only waters, or who kill undersized/slotted fish, too. Seize their trucks and boats, chop 'em up, and feed 'em to the fishes!

And thanks for your interest and for posting!

Later-
[signature]