Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downrigger interfearance
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4] This past Friday I went to East Canyon Reservoir with Petty4life. We were using manual downriggers and I noticed that I was getting a lot of strange signals on my fishfinder screen. I am thinking that it might have been from one of the downrigger balls, but I'm not sure.The screen was covered with fish symbols but I really don't think there were that many fish.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4] Could I be getting some of the interfearance from my trolling motor? Has anyone else had this sort of problem, I only ask because this is the first time I have used downriggers on my boat.[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4]AFdan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
The best way to find out is to turn your Fish ID off when using your downriggers. After it is off, do you see a straight line at the depth the ball was lowered to? In most cases you will see a straight line horizontal to the screen. If you are marking fish above that line, you are in the zone but I like to see fish below the ball. A lot of fish will look up with they are feeding, so in clear water I want my ball a foot or two above the fish but it depends on the lure you are running. It is not likely your trolling motor would cause that interference.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4] Hi Curt, there was a fairly solid line at the level the ball was at. But the fish ID was on at the time, I'll try your suggestion, we were marking fish above and below the line so I guess they were everywhere. Thanks for the information, I might try the Pig next week some time so I'll be able to try things out .[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
your fishfinder is broken... you better buy a lowrance[Tongue]
[signature]
Turn off that ID. The computer inside thinks every return is a fish and displays it as such. Soon a patch of alge floating 20' down has you trolling at 20'.
If you are in non ID mode you can see the differences in the return signal yourself, some big, some small. If your sensetivity is set to high the thermalcline can show up as a concentration of small marks. When the alge at the berry floats up I have had the whole screen turn black. Turn the sens. down and the clutter goes away.
[signature]
i told him the same thing but i guess you cant teach an old dog (dan) new tricks[Wink]
[signature]
Difinelty sounds like you fish finder is picking up your weight.As other have said turn off the fish id when downrigging.
[signature]
I agree with Troll--turn it off and leave it off. You're smarter than the fish finder. Learn to interpret what the sonar is showing and you'll become a much better angler.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Amen to that, bro. Not to insult you, but don't use that stupid Fish ID anymore. Think of it as a sales gimmick, or something to impress the kids and ladies on board. Just use the basic sonar and fish arches, and you'll soon start seeing the difference between fish and other stuff in the water - - not always but most of the time. You ARE smarter than your fish finder! (I know, I spent a couple of years using Fish ID, before I knew any better.)[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4] Hey MisterC, Thanks for being gentile with the comeback.LOL . I did notice a difference when Petty and I went out this past Thursday. it will take a few more times out tro get used to it. Thanks guys.[/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
I agree completely. Turn off the id and leave it off. The only time you want it on is ice fishing to let you know when a fish is near your hole. Mine beeps when fish id is on every time it gets a hit. Your unit will tell you more without it. Nuff said. I am going to try and hit E.C. in 2 weeks. Maybe we can meet up there.
[signature]
you dont want the fish id on ice fishing either. fish will show as a line ice fishing instead of an arch
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4] Might have to make another trip up there at that time. With any luck most of the power patrol will have put there Battlewagons up for the winter.[/size][/red][/font]
[signature]