Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolf Creek August 13, '06
Tried Wolf Creek today for around an hour of peaceful fishing...

Wolf Creek is indirectly a tributary of the Kankakee River.

temperature - 77
humidity - 58%
wind - N4mph
atmosphere - some clouds, but primarily clear
water - clear, visibility 4 feet

Due to the Kankakee River being extremely high from the 2.75" of rain that fell the other day, I chose to fish Wolf Creek and its connecting ditches. I was using my ultralite gear with a 1/32 oz. red/chartreuse tube jig on one rod with 4lb. test Berkley XL line and a T-rigged craw tube on my medium rod with 6lb. test Cajun Red line.

Started out with the craw tube and caught 2 short bass right away, then they seemed to shut down, so I switched over to the ultralite gear and proceded to catch another 4 short bass, 4 green sunfish, 1 bluegill and 1 red horse.

The fish were holding really tight to the shoreline on sharp dropoffs with thick weeds....there was a good size fish breaking water and chasing gills off in the distance, but I would have had to go through private property to get within casting distance so I just watched and dreamed.

Sorry, no pics tonight...I forgot to bring the camera, which is a real shame because at one point I got within 8 feet of one of the herons I saw - definitely would have made a great shot.

Nature Report: saw 2 great blue herons, hundreds of goldfinches, several hummingbirds, a muskrat, a soft shelled snapping turtle, swamp mallows, cardinal flowers, and a variety of winged insects I have yet to identify.

...all in all, it was another great time had by me down by the Kankakee!

[signature]