Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge report
There's been some chatter on here about the Gorge lately, and I just wanted to say that mack fishing is just fine, despite the fact that everyone thinks that May and June are the only months of the year they can be caught. Right now, including today, you can't keep the 5-15 pounders from hitting, and I'm getting fish in the high-teens and low-twenties every day I try, and some bigger than that every week. And, there's nobody out here fishing because, "Ya can't catch 'em after July!" Granted, its easier to catch the monster 25-40 pounders earlier in the year, but the action is sure fast every morning right now, and they're not all pups unless you specifically target the smaller ones. If you do that, you can catch a boat-load on nearly any deep point on the lake during the morning hours!
[signature]
HEY JIM. NOW YOU GONE AND DONE IT. HOT SPOTTING THE GORGE.LOL. LISTEN UP GUYS IF JIM SAYS ITS TIME TO POUND THE 5 TO 15 POUNDERS ITS TIME TO GET UP ON THE GORGE. THANX FOR POSTING UP JIM.
[signature]
Shhhh! It's supposed to be a secret!
[signature]
IM THE CRAPS AT KEEPING SECRETS.
[signature]
ROTFLMAO! Yes, Ken, you are!!! [Wink]
[signature]
Jim, thanks for the heads up.
[signature]
Jim, I just asked for info on the WY board. Any suggestions for catching those 5 to 15s trolling would be great!!
[signature]
[size 1]I haven't done any trolling lately, and am not really an "expert" when it comes to that, but I'm sure if you pulled some small rapala-type plugs on a long line behind a downrigger, or put some behind large flashers close to the ball, you'd get hooked up. I've been fishing Linwood a lot, but there's also a bunch of smaller fish about a mile north of Anvil Draw right now, on the long point just south of Marsh Creek. Linwood is loaded, but I haven't seen the trollers hooking up. The north fish are definitely easier to catch.

Either pull the long lines about 20 feet above the depth you mark fish (70-90'), or pull the flashers as close to the bottom as you can. OR . . . put the ball near the bottom with the flashers right behind it, and stack a long line 20-30 feet higher on the cable. That's what I usually do when I'm sleeping, uh, I mean trolling![sly] [/size]
[signature]
Jim, see you on the lake Thursday-Saturday.
[signature]
Hi Jim,

Have you heard any reports from the area around Mustang? I will be there tomorrow through Saturday.

Thanks
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]What kind of reports are you looking for? We fished for macks on the lower end of the lake for a few days last weekend and found fish. We did not troll for kokes and were off the water by noon.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Just a very general idea of where to start. I have not fished for macks before and would like to spend a few hours/days trying to catch anything at this point. Were you trolling, or jigging? I don't expect you to give me your secret spots, but anything would help.
[signature]
If you're looking for macks, they're on the "mustang hump" in front of Mustang Ridge CG, the humps in Jarvies canyon, Gold Point, and around the long point of the big island in front of the dam. Don't know about any of the fish they eat! Probably a lot of rainbows up Cart Creek canyon, especially with the water running from the rain. Bass are everywhere along the shore.
[signature]
Jim,

Thanks for the info. I will give you a report next week after we get back. This gives me a good idea where to start looking. I have a map that shows the general location of these places. I will be fishing for macks and rainbows. I may even try for bass if all else fails.

Jake
[signature]