Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Report
This is a fishing report from Aug 31, - Sept. 5, 2006
I went to the gorge to go kokanee fishing. The latest report on here said to go to big bend, so Saturday morning we went to big bend on the Wyoming side, We fished there for a hour and a half and nothing. Then we moved on to skunk cliffs on the other side of Big bend and just down a little. We fished there until noon and caught some amazing lake trout. However no kokanees. Saturday morning it was like a city out at skunk cliffs. There were so many boats. Sunday we did not go back to skunk cliffs because we wanted kokanee. So we took off to the Red Balls on the Utah side, and caught some more lake trout. then we moved to horsehoe canyon were we caught one kokanee and a couple more lake trout. That night we fished Sheep creek and caught a good size rainbow. Then we went to the Red cliffs and caught a good rainbow. Later that night we took off to kingfisher island and hideout area to fish and ended up with some more lake trout, and a small kokanee that we realesed. Monday morning we took off th Anvil Draw on the Wyoming Side and not one thing, however there were a couple of people catching some kokanee on some tiny silver lures. There was some jiggers that did really well there, I watched one boat net four kokanee in about 10 minutes, there was a lot of jiggers out there that were doing well. So that night Monday (Yesterday) we took off to Carter creek and fished there for bass and then trolled out of there. I ended up catching a bass on my downrigger at 80'. We got out of Carter creek and trolled to the other side and hokked three lake trout. Today we decided to go back to Skunk cliffs in the morning before we went home. I found out I was fishing 5-15 feet to deep, and we did well on kokanees.
[signature]
Colton, you were trolling 5-15 ft for kokes? I was out in the same area as you were and I caught a few kokes at 45' but they were pretty small and i released them all. but we caught some really nice rainbows. tonight I just got in from linwood bay and cought some really nice bass. In the morning I'm heading up to the pipeline area to try for some more kokes, just wondering what depth they are at?
[signature]
No I am sorry we were fishing 5-15 feet to deep we were fishing around 75 feet. We caught some great kokanees at 55-70 feet deep. The fishing was slow but it was good. The kokanees were not to bad in size. But those damn mack's are taking over the lake, usually when we go out we catch 2-3 mack's this time we caught close to 15. The DWR is right they are taking over the lake.
[signature]
thats what I thought, sorry that was a stupid question, but a guy I work with was just casting for some rainbows north of buckboard and cought a nice koke. This morning I was up around hideout and done really great, me and my buddy cought our limit of kokes by 10am they were at about 45' the biggest one was almost 4lbs it was a great morning!
[signature]
Can I ask where at in Hideout you caught your limit, and on what? I am planning on returning tomorrow or next Friday to do some fishing. I would loike to go this weekend before they shut down the lake for kokanee fishing.
[signature]
From sheep creek boat ramp heading into the first canyon it was right were you can go back around the island or go right into hideout.They were hitting right before you turn right to head up into hideout. I was using that orange humdinger and a orange pro troll apex with that echip deal, I had a half silver half gold flasher on it, hope that helps.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4] Guys those Kokes are a blast to catch, did you find large schools on the sonar?[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4]AFdan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
I just getting started this month with a older 20' boat and an old eagle fish finder that I havent really figured out yet but I've had fun trying. It looked like they were stacked up to me, half the time the fish finder is reading the down rigger ball, but you can tell when you get into allot of fish I think.
[signature]
Hey thanks, I fished there this last time and had several bits and brought two or three lake trout in.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4] I'll pass along a little bit of helpful information to you about your fishfinder. Make sure that you turn off the fish ID. It really makes a difference. Hope this helps.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
I was one of those boats at Anvil jigging for Kokes. On Monday morning we couldn't keep them off. At times we had quad hook up's. All the Kokes we're very large and agressive. In spite of our best efforts not to, a few of them would get foul hooked [url "javascript: top.editor_iframe.addTag('pirate')"][pirate][/url] (tail and sides). Those that did get fouled hooked, we worked very carefully to ensure they we're safely unhooked and released properly. The challenge was keeping the other boats ( dozen +) from hitting my boat as they all encroached right next to us. What a Zoo it was when everyone else started catching kokes with few inches between boats. I think the Kokes had the last laugh as once hooked they would take off and tangle everyones lines. We had enough fun in two hours of the Zoo, so we went fishing for lakers. We caught kokes jigging with "special" hammered spoons and Buzz bomb colors ( small hooks) that the KOKES would take! We saw people fishing with lures the fish weren't taking but had HUGE treble hooks to snag the fish with. I have to wonder if all the foul hook-up's jigging at F.G. is worth hurting some of those nice Kokes and Lakers; [url "javascript: top.editor_iframe.addTag(':/')"][unsure][/url] Maybe it doesn't bother others, but I'm not into mortally wounding fish for the sake of a few seconds of fun.
[signature]
How hard is it to get those kokes to bite at Buzz bombs and other jiggs like that. How hard is it to find a school of kokes. Do you hook most legally or do they get snagged when jigging more often? I would really apperciate some answer. Thanks Colton
[signature]
When they are all balled up like they are now it's easy to find them. And when you do they will readily hit a jigged spoon. Take off the treble hook and put on a single siwash type hook and you will still hook most that hit the spoon. You'll still foul hook an occassional koke but not nearly as many as with a treble hook. Make sure your hook is sharp!

Hooks like these work fine: [url "http://www.staminainc.com/hooks/eagleclaw/ec210salmon.html"]http://www.staminainc.com/hooks/eagleclaw/ec210salmon.html[/url]
[signature]
Hey thanks.
Do you do business with stamina often and if you do how well do you like there stuff.
[signature]
You're welcome! I buy things from Stamina (hooks and molds) every once in a while and have never had a problem with quality. My only gripe is that sometimes it takes them a few days to ship.
[signature]
Colton,
If looking to jigg for Kokes at F.G., you'll need to watch your fish finder very carefully as you can easily misinterpret a school of Kokes as a sudden bottom structure rise. First and foremost is to turn off the fish symbols screen and go to pure sonar echo mode. I have discovered a few tricks over the years that has allowed me to locate Koke schools easily. One the keys is know where they like to hang out at various times of the year ( storing locations on my GPS). There are certain locations that always seem to have Kokes and others are very seasonal. The Pipeline, Anvil and Squaw areas you will always find some Kokes; the key is knowing what to look for on the finder. Koke schools can be massive in size or can be just a few dozen fish. Unlike the deep loving lakers, the Kokes can be found from 25'-80' of water. As you come into a large kokes school, the finder screen will show a vertical column of echos 25'-30' high. Most of the time they start at the bottom, but I've seen schools suspended over 100' mounds in the middle of the lake. Our best success is finding schools along is rocky deep ledges in 60' of water and using a bow mount trolling motor to stay on top of them. If you drop an anchor to stay on top of them, more often than not, you will scare them out of the area. The key to fast and furious fishing to stay in the school. If you're just a foot outside of the school, you will not have success. If you find an active school, there is no need to for large treble hook lures!!! A single SHARP hook on a 3" to 4" brightly colored jigging spoon ( Buzz Bombs included) will prompt the fish to strike while minimizing foul hook-up's [Wink]
[signature]
Hey thanks for your info. I use stamina all the time for any of my lures and have never had a problem, but they don't make some of there things in the color that I want.
[signature]
Hey thanks, one of these days next summer I am going to try to jig for kokanees, I got a summer job out there, until I go to college.
Thanks again and good luck on future fishing trips.
[signature]