Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non Trout Fly Fishing
I love to fly fish for panfish, and bass mostly, and was wondering if any one on here has a favorite pattern for these types of fish. I am looking to tie some new flies, and would love to see some patterns of flies that some of you use. Trout patterns work well, and I have a few designs of my own, but just looking for some thing new.
[signature]
for slab gills (gills over 10") I like to use a parachute ant

for bass, a number 6 bumble bee; grasshopper imitations, and a variety of radically different looking streamers that I've created on my own - this is an area where the rule is "there are no rules".
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Here are some of my favorite. First is a Gartside Sort Hackle in Chartruse, Yellow with a yellow woodduck collar, then the Royal Wulff, and the Hasbro, Black Marabou with black tungsten bead.[/size][/black][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font] [inline "warm flies 001.jpg"]
[signature]
[reply]
for slab gills (gills over 10") I like to use a parachute ant

for bass, a number 6 bumble bee; grasshopper imitations, and a variety of radically different looking streamers that I've created on my own - this is an area where the rule is "there are no rules". [/reply]
Thanks for the advice. I also tie one that looks like a horse fly that works really well. Just might try my luck at tying a grasshopper. I'll have to look up the parachute ant. Thanks for the info. Tony
[signature]
Thanks for posting the pics Joni. I am always on the look out for new flies to tie. I would put some pics of some of mine up, but I work as a river boat capt. and I am on the boat right now. I will throw some pics up when I get home. Thanks again. Tony

P.S. Did you read my post about the hair packing problem? I really need some advice on this one. I just cant get it right!!![Sad]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I did and it sounds like you are doing everything right and you say you have a stacker and packer. Maybe, smaller bunches. And no thread on the hook where you are going to put the hair. Other than that, without watching you, I have no idea.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
my guess would be to just practice, practice, practice and you'll get better as you go
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]fish_a_holic makes good sense about the practice, practice sceniaro. Was reading about the activities of the contestants in a recent fly casting tournament that they practice casting for hours on end. Think about it - that in all sporting events there is pre-season practice. So I guess it goes without saying that to become good at tying one has got to practice, practice. Good luck.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I did and it sounds like you are doing everything right and you say you have a stacker and packer. Maybe, smaller bunches. And no thread on the hook where you are going to put the hair. Other than that, without watching you, I have no idea.[/size][/black][/font] [/reply]

Joni, Thanks for the tips. I do believe that my problem was I was wrapping the shank of the hook. I tried it without wrapping the shank, and the results were amazing. I thank you , and my bass poppers thank you. I carry my tying gear on the river boat with me so I have lots of time to tie. I guess I just couldn't see the forest for the trees. Thanks again, Tony
[signature]
I am glad that works for you. I am going to Henry's Lake for Labor Day weekend and the ol' man asked if I was going to take my fly tying kit. MAN! I have no idea at this point what will work, so I don't know what material to take. I could fill our trailer with fly tying material[laugh]. I will be with the ol' man and his brother and I generally supply the flies. I know I will hate myself, but I am taking what I have had luck with in the past and leave the Tying Kit at home. I guess we can always buy flies.
Besides, I don't want to be tying flies, I want to go fish and walk my dog, and sit around the campfire, and maybe watch a little TV LOL[laugh]
[signature]
Sounds like fun. Taking your tying supplies, or not, is surely a double edged sword. I would agree with you though, and leave them at home. That way you can enjoy yourself a lot more, and not be tying flies for the "Old man and his brother." Hope that you guys have tons of fun, and may your creel runneth over. Tony

P.S. Do not forget the cold beer while sitting around that fire.

P.S.S. How do you know that a bass player has been living in your basement? He's still there. Thought you might get a kick out of that one.
[signature]
I was so quiet, I didn't think you would know that I was still down here[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]