Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ditch Fishing near the Kankakee...
Had 30 minutes to kill before it was time to pick up Lura from babysitting tonight, so I hit one of my favorite tiny ditches...

temperature - 74
humidity - 78%
winds - calm
barometer - 30.09
water - turbid, visibility 12"
atmosphere - overcast

Started out with a 1/32 oz. tube jig and had a few follows from gills, but not nearly as aggressive as normal, so I tied on a Crickethopper crankbait, using my super ultralite rod with 4lb. test Berkley XL line. On the very first cast, and very tight to the shoreline the bait got sucked down by a small bass (see picture below)after a few more casts and no action, I switched over to my medium weight rod with 6lb. test Red Cajun line and a weightless T-rigged Tiki Worm in black/blue with an annodized chartreuse 5/0 wide gap hook...this allowed me to cast right up onto the shorelines and retrieve it withing inches of the shoreline - end result was another 3 bass...then, all of a sudden they shut down completely.
[Image: ULbass.jpg]

Nature Notes: there was a majestic heron standing on the edge of the ditch when I got there, and about a gazillion blackbirds in the cornfield nearby...watched a coyote cross the road tentatively..and saw a mink on the way home.

...all in all, another great time had by myself down by the Kankakee.

[signature]