Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ponds
when and what would u use in small ponds to catch big bass. i catch alot of bass under 2 pounds everytime i go to my neighborhood lake but ive never caught a bass over 3 pounds there.
[signature]
I'd try any bait that resembles a bluegill...I fish a lot of ponds, and to date the largest bass I've taken from a pond was an accidental catch to say the least, but is the ammunition for my response - I was using a finesse trick worm 3" long when a hybrid gill slammed the worm so hard it went in its mouth and out its gill...I could see the worm hanging on the outside of the fish...anyway, a couple cranks of the reel and the water explodes! I hit the free spool button on my reel and when the line comes to a halt, I engage the reel and set the hook hard...that afternoon, on a single cast, I landed a 10" bluegill and an 8.5 pound largemouth on a single cast.

Big bass in ponds eat gills...
[signature]
Just another example of big bait=big bass. I now use all big bait to cut down on the small guys. Bass get lazy and want only a few big meals in the hot weather. Use what ever bait your haveing luck with and get it bigger.
[signature]
so what can i use that resmebles a bluegill
if some one as a link of a good lure that would be awesome
[signature]
thanks for the info. i also live down the road from a small pond and once i saw the blue gill thing i though "DUH! i have not seen any minnows in there so they gotta eat gills! I have been useing a "Rapala j-9" crankbait that i have been having O.K but not great results i took a 5lb. 18in largemouth with it.
[signature]
I'd consider one of my sponsor's baits, but considering your age and your budget for acquiring fishing tackle, I'd really just recommend 1/2 oz. spinner baits with a good thump, like swapping out the blade that comes with it for an oversized Colorado blade, even a Big O is a good alternative...

Here's what I use:
[Image: 085329.jpg]
[signature]
well the budgets not realy a problem cause i make 24 bucks an hour even though iam 16 but thank you very much for the advise.
[signature]
[reply]
The best thing to use is a 1/4 or 1/2 ounce blue and black jig with a Gene Larue Trailer that is the best lure in the world [/reply]
that's definitely a great bait, but hardly a bluegill imitation.
[signature]