Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield 8/19
Me and my family went up to Scofield yesterday. It was a late decision, and we got there around 11. I walked down to the dock and caught a bunch of bait(which turned out to be a hastle; my cast nets ripped in several places now), and went down fishing. By the time me and my mom got there my dad, brother, and his girlfriend all had a rainbow. I finally got in, and notta. All day long. Right up until 5 minutes before we were leaving, and I finally got a 12" rainbow. Crawdadin was excellent, though. 200 in six hours isn't bad at all. I finally had to stop because I filled up my Dad cooler.

My dad did great. Around 15 fish, including a 6# Hook Jawed Rainbow, 5# Female Rainbow, and a the rest between 12-18". He also had on a fish I honestly couldn't believe. It was a 24" long(give or take) Tiger Trout. I didn't know they were that big! My mom caught another one that was about 15" long we had to keep. I wouldn't have believed him myself but I saw it. Did the DWR plant tigers into Scofield or any of its drainages before last years batch? That's the only way I can see a fish that big in there.

My mom, brother, and his girlfriend all caught probably 6 or 8 fish a piece. All the 12-18"ers.

The fish were slamming minnows right up on top of the water. About a third of them that came up were tiger trout(you could see the striping on their backs). A lot of big fish swimming around, too. But their guts said a different story entirely. Full of crawdads, all but the two huge ones. It wasn't so bad being out on the water up there. Hopefully we can get out again next week.
[signature]
Nice fish man!! The 2 are hogs. Too bad bad things happen to me when i go up that canyon.[Sad]
[signature]
[cool]Nice fish, mac, but they don't quite look like 5 or 6 pounders. I'd say more like 3 or 4#'ers tops, but nice fish, nonetheless, and congrats on a nice day out there. I'm also glad to hear that the crawdads are starting to come back there. THe past two years i went crawdading in that same general area and didn't get that many. I'm gonna head up to Aspen Grove at 'da berry soon to get me a bunch...
[signature]
Maybe my weighers broken. Salt water's taken half my gear, seems like. I just went with what it said. I'll check it tomorrow.

Them dads were bein good yesterday. Some pulls I'd get 7 or 8 of them at a time. And my minnow traps were getting hit, too, even with just bread and marshmellows in it. Good luck at the berry. I've nailed'em there, too.
[signature]
I just checked my scale. 1/2 lb. off. So they were 4.5 and 5.5 lbers.
[signature]
quick question for you--how do you fish the minnow--weight etc--how keep them on top of the water--thank you
[signature]
I fish them on either a #4 strait hook or #10 trebble hook, hooked right through the head. Last week they were taking it with either no weight or a single split shot. Although in the past we have caught fish suspending them 2-5 feet below a bubble. I hope that helps. If you need anymore info feel free to PM me.
[signature]