Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which tube has...
stand the test of time and last long or longer than it was thought to last?
This old FishMaster got me thinking of how well those guys thought of it and had it last too long. Only thing I had to replace was the zippers on it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The Fishmaster was one of the first commercially produced float tubes, and there are still a lot of them hanging in garages around the country. Many of the survivors will still float a fisherman, but the inner tubes in some have long since rotted into rubber dust.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Compared to today's float tube covers, the Fishmasters were probably overbuilt. They were made of a tough plastic-coated fabric and had heavy zippers suitable for an army tent. Of course, over time, the stitching on some might have deteriorated a bit. I would want new tubes and a thorough test on any that I planned to take on the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I bought several Fishmasters in the late 70's, for family and friends I introduced to tubing at that time. As I progressed to newer models, I handed mine off to my kids or sold them cheap to newbies. I think TubeN2 still has one of the originals hanging in his garage in California.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's a pic of one of my early FM's.[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9459;]
[signature]
I still have my Fishmaster. It's been hard explaining to my other half, that the tube still has sentimental value and is very useable.

I recently purchased a new innertube for it. I can now have a side kick tube to hold the extra refrigerater and finally a bigger microwave oven. I also added some pockets to it for the additional ammunition required for my RPGs.[cool]
[signature]
How often do u use it tubeN2? There is a tag sewn on the right in front before the storage bag, is your's readable? Mine is readable very well. I aired it up once last year when I had it renewed zippers and haven't add or sub any yet. I kinda love that old tube.
[signature]