Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who was the first guy...
to ever thought of and come up using those PVC tubing for fishing rod holders and other such things?
[signature]
Tubedude.

[cool]z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Others may have started using it independently, but as far as I know, I am the one who first started gluing PVC tubes together and lashing them onto my float tubes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is a kind of a pictorial history on the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=202149;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]PICTURE BOARD[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
[cool][#0000ff]Others may have started using it independently, but as far as I know, I am the one who first started gluing PVC tubes together and lashing them onto my float tubes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is a kind of a pictorial history on the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=202149;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]PICTURE BOARD[/url][/#0000ff] [/reply]

Tube Dude, You are a true pioneer. You have quite a few great tube inventions under your belt. If you could invent a automobile engine that runs off of discarded fish carcasses, then you will have acheived God like status. Just funnin with ya. Your ideas are great. Tony
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks Tony. I have been fishing from an inner tube since the mid 1950's...over 50 years. Unlike most tubers, I started by fishing in the salt water off Southern California beaches and only later "graduated" to tubing in fresh water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was probably the first float tuber to launch a craft on many waters in both California and Utah...and probably in some other states too. You should see the looks on the faces of some of the "locals" in some of the more remote areas I have tubed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I first started carrying more than one rod back in the 70's, and that required that I come up with something better than just tucking the extra(s) under the apron on my round tube. That was uncomfortable, cumbersome and didn't help the reels when they got dunked in the water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I started by strapping on the metal tubes from rod holders designed for shore fishermen to hold their poles while bait fishing. When plastic models came out, I tried those too. It was a short leap to cutting, drilling and lashing on pieces of PVC pipe.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was probably also the first guy to attach sonar to tubes. My first tube sonar was an old Humminbird flasher unit that was bigger than a breadbox and weighed a ton. For batteries I wired two 6 volt lantern batteries in series to get a 12 volt power source. It worked but the batteries didn't last long and they weren't rechargeable.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When smaller and lighter digital display sonars came on the scene, I started playing with them. Much lighter. I also discovered the small 12 volt motorcycle batteries. These were acid filled and potentially dangerous. They also did not last long when used as deep cycle batteries.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With the super sonar systems and SLA batteries available today, I really enjoy having all the "bells and whistles". And, of course, PVC plays a big role in attaching sonar and my new PVC ram mount for the display.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not sure about inventing a motor that runs off "fish remains". They already have motors that run on the methane produced by farm animals "byproducts", and of course there is "biodiesel". You could probably come up with some way to incorporate rotting fish flesh into a combustible gas. Can you imagine the FISH GUT FERRARI? It might even work to help with traffic congestion. Not many cars would want to be on the same roads with one that put out rotten fish smells in the exhaust.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Catch ya later. Gotta call my patent attorney.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You're right about the "Fish remains engine." Who would want to own a Ferrari if you couldn't pick up good looking women. On a more serious note though, You have been tubing for a long time. By now you know what works, and what doesn't. I will agree with several other people on here, you need to get that book on the shelves. You say it is a work in progress, but you can always put out a updated edition later. Tony
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I keep a "to do" list on a notepad right next to my computer. I redo it each week. At the top of the list, in big letters is "WRITING, EXERCISE, GPS". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I hate to admit it but fishing keeps getting in the way of all three. The GPS refers to the latest part of my tubeology research. I bought a Garmin iFINDER H2O GPS unit that I need to get more familiar with. It is the last element of research in my "Electronics" chapter in my book. Once I finish that chapter and a couple more small ones, I will be ready for the final edit and printing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We are coming into the fall fishing frenzy here in Utah. I have been building rods, making jigs and tieing flies in almost every spare minute between fishing trips. I am ready to rumble. Once the scales clear and I have some more time, I WILL finish the book and put it out. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My final rewrites have taken into account that there will be changes, but that there are some constants that tubers and tooners can use to "Git 'er done." This latest rewrite bears little resemblance to the first rough draft I put together over 20 years ago. At that time I thought I knew all there was to know about tubing. Maybe that was true at the time, but man things have changed and I have acquired so much more info and insight. Fun, but overwhelming when you try to put it into words.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Stand by.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About picking up good looking women...TubeBabe kinda frowns on that. She tells me I am like a dog chasing cars. Even if a dog caught a car, he wouldn't be able to drive it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
When you do get the book out, just let us know where we can get a copy. I will be one of the first to jump on this one. I know what it means to be busy. I work one month on the river boat, and get two weeks off. I just don't seem to have enough time to get things done. You are preaching to the choir. Tube Babes attitude is like my wife's when it comes to good looking women. I tell mine that when she turns 40, I'm going to trade her in for two 20 year olds. She says that I'm not wired for 220. Tony
[signature]
I'VE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT THE BOOK, THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW. I DO WANT A COPY BUT I WANT IT SIGNED BY YOU..............."TO MY DEAR FRIEND ETC. ETC. ETC."[Wink]

AT
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, I was trying to keep it in the category of "non-fiction". If I gotta get too flowery, it will change the whole thing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Heck, if you pay enough, I will sign George W's name. Worth about as much if I sign it as it would be for a real presidential autograph.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sheesh. Now we got politics involved. Anybody wanna go for religion? I fish religiously...and I worship at the church of the seventh day angler often. Does that count?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Seriously, once the book is ready I will definitely put the "personal touch" on any copy going out to a BFTer. After all, you guys and gals have been a big part of the inspiration to go ahead and Git 'er done.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, Bro, how did the tuna trip go?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]

[#0000ff]By the way, Bro, how did the tuna trip go?[/#0000ff] [/reply]

NO TUNA ON THIS TRIP WATER WAS TO WARM (MID 70'S) ALBIES LIKE IT A LITTLE COOLER, SO THEY WHERE OUT OF RANGE. HOWEVER WE DID BOAT LIMITS OF YELLOWTAIL AND DORADOS, SOME BIG BONITA (ABOUT 10#), BARRICUDAS AND CALICOS. ALL IN ALL A VERY GOOD TRIP, THANKS FOR ASKING.
LOOKING FORWARD TO THE BOOK SO PUT DOWN THE ROD AND REEL, BREAK OUT THE LAP TOP AND FINISH THAT BOOK!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That warm water almost sounds like an El Nino condition. I have fished it in the past when the red crabs came in thick and there were lots of exotics in the mix. Sounds like you had plenty of bent sticks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, my only "laptop" is the rigid apron on my float tube. It will be getting a lot of use in the next couple of months. Chalk it up to doing more "in depths" research for the book.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If it will make you feel any better, I will come over and hand-deliver your copy. Of course that extra service will cost you a fishing trip. Fair 'nuff?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
FAIR 'NUFF!

AT
[signature]