Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tie Fast Tool
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Most of us have one of these tools stuck away in our vest, fanny pack or what ever. Do you remember how to use it properly & or all it's features? Well if you need a refresher, have attached a video clip down at the bottom for your review.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[inline Tie%20Fast.jpg]
[signature]
DR... you been reading my brain again?? I am going to be doing some line switching and fixing soon and was trying to remember how to use this tool to tie the knots I will need to do that... you read my mind and I did not even feel a thing.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the link. got that one saved now. I seldom use that tool now. The instructions are laying in the bottom of some storage box now.

I mostly use a loop in the end of my line so that I am using loop to loops for my line to leader connection instead of a nail knot. So when I go to use that tool I always have to stop and think about how to use it. It generally takes a couple of false starts to get it right. Oh, I finally have taken it out of my vest and it resides in a bag for with spare tippet spools and spare leaders.

It still is a good tool. I like the feel of it in my hand and the size is right for my hands. It is sturdy enough for the use and light enough for the vest.

I have never used the nail knot for tippet to tippet connections.
[signature]
[Wink]Oscar!!!
Whoever made that little film deserves an Acadamy Award. I've had several knot tying gagets over the years. I couldn't make sence of the diagrams. After watching this one time I made my own nail knot tool. It works good although I had one knot fail so far. (on a hang up not a fish)
Thanks dryrod
[signature]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Hi there bigchiefdad and welcome to the BFT and the Fly Fishing forum. Glad that the video helped. As they say a picture or two is worth a 1000 words. It helped me too.[Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature][/#008000][/font][/size]
Ill third that notion of assistance.. reviewing that film showed me a couple of things that I did not know I could do with that tool.. which leads to an observation..

assuming the nail knot is truely a very strong knot since it is used to connect and slice lines together.. and from that film we see the basic nail knot can be used to tie on flies and lures .. then the question that pops into my mind is..

..why.. if the nail knot is so strong and secure, easily tied.. do we bother to use other knots such as the clinch knot or the improved clinch knot to tie our flies and lures onto the line??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]I don't know about the others - but the nail knot involves a bit more [fumbling on my part] than a clinch or a Davy knot. When I'm in the water with bright sunlight and reflection of the water on my glasses I need something real simple. Like KISS. Heck if I was young [which ain't going to happen] then it wouldn't make a difference. What is the saying - age is wasted on the youth. [/size][/#008000][#000000][size 3][#008000][size 4]C'est la Vie[/size][/#008000] [/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
DR..

what you say is true.. Im just kind of being the devils advocate and take what was on that clip and throwing it back out in the lions den.. :-)... you know me.. cant resist a good discussion.. .. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Practicality completely depends on what you are planning to do. combat trousers were designed for combat. They are tough so that they're not going to tear when you crawl around a field in them, and they contain lots of pockets so you can carry things without being encumbered by a bag. If you do a job where these things are important then I would completely agree that combat trousers would be practical. If,on the other hand,you work in an office, then dress trousers are perfectly practical. If you wear a jacket, you can take it off if you're warm. If you wear a shirt you have the option of wearing a tie - it stops your chest hair showing through your open neck, and is slightly warmer. It's main purpose is however decorative.

[url "http://www.instant-paid-surveys.us"][/url]
[signature]
I found one of these tools sitting on a rock at a river I was fishing and had no idea what it was for.
I am so impressed with this video and with this tool. I feel like a guy pushing his motorcycle around and now I can kickstart it!
[signature]