Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mono nonslip loop knot
Last night Ed Givens was the speaker at our fly club meeting. Sitting at our table he was demonstating how to tie the tippet to the fly creating a loop which provides more action than a more traditional knot like a clinch.
[signature]
I can't get it. It is under your edit thingy
[signature]
Hi there FGD That is odd for I can see the attachment quite clearly in the lower left hand section of my post. Will e-mail you the video. You will need Quick Time to view the file.
[/indent]
[signature]
I watched the video and that is an easy knot to tie.. from what I can see anyway..

..any idea how this knot compares to the surgeons loop that can be used for the same thing??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
That looks like the Rapala loop. Easy enough, but it could be tuff to make the loop smaller. I like tiny loops so that the knot doesn't cause an unnatural wake infront of the fly.

Mine is the old, thread fly, make a loop with line and tag big enough to feed the fly through twice. Now here is the trick. holding the loop in the left hand, put the eye of the hook in the middle of the loop and touch your middle finger on you left hand. Slowly tighten and when it is arouns the eye of the hook, pull on the fly and the tag and line. Tighten by pulling the tag and the tippet. You can get real small loops this way.
[signature]
FG writes: That looks like the Rapala loop. Easy enough, but it could be tuff to make the loop smaller.
-----------
It is the rapala loop except the rapala loop has an extra pass between the standing line and the tag end that is sent back through the knot. Just like the difference between the clinch knot and the improved clinch knot. Rapala:
[url "http://www.animatedknots.com/rapala/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com"]http://www.animatedknots.com/...ww.animatedknots.com[/url]

Interesting that you say that it may be tuff to make the loop small. I find trying to make the loop on the surgeons loop small harder. But I have not tried making the surgeons loop smaller in the same fashion that you describe. Thank you for that. I will have to give it a try.
[signature]
MacFly writes..any idea how this knot compares to the surgeons loop that can be used for the same thing??
--------------
I have been meaning to do some of my own testing but have not found the right Round Tuit and I don't think I will be finding it soon.Any hoo, According to Art Scheck, a FF author who has done a lot of testing of fly fishing knots says that he has tested the the nonslip monoloop to be the strongest loop knot and one of the top three strongest knots he has tested. Now his tests are all relative knot test not emperical strength tests. That is he tests one knot directly against another knot instead of using an instron strain test equipment that yields a numeric measurement. The nonslip mono loop does take some getting used to tie it effectively. It is not a knot I like to use on those frozen windy days. But then on those days I am not fond of tying any knot other than the quickest knot I know how to tie. That being the clinch knot which I have found to be one of the weakest knots. But even at that it is still a quite adequate knot.
[signature]
Requested feedback from the Admins as to why you all can't view the attachment and received this reply:I can see it okay. Must be a matter of individual computer settings or lack of viewing program (Quick Time) installation.Then again, the display of the attachments is so small and low down in the post that some folks might not see it.

Don't know whether this is the answer or not. If someone can do a print screen of my post so that I can see the problem as you see it. Just e-mail or PM the .jpg file.
[signature]
[indent]I can see it but because it is below your signature line and small I overlooked it until I got to your post that you could see it on your screen while FG could not.
[/indent]
[signature]
According to the following webpage the nonslip mono loop knot shown is 95% of the material strength but with a slight change of making the last pass with the tag end from the opposite side the overhand knot it becomes 100% of the material strength. Interesting.

[url "http://www.redchaser.com/monoloop.htm"]http://www.redchaser.com/monoloop.htm[/url]
[signature]