Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard last night
Well, my friend from work and his kids wound up in my boat at willard with me and my little one.
Launched at 4 pm out of the s. marina. Headed to the feed lot corner for some kitties as they had never caught them before. Anchored right on thre corner and caught 30 beteween all of us. Let alot go and kept some for the skillet. A bobber and worm right next to the rocks as the trick. A boil started right next to us but could do nothing as we were anchored and had all lines out for cats. We changed 2 rods to rattle traps and pulled anchor and the kids poles. The boils got heavy and it was an all out war with the other boats. The worst i have ever witnessed![mad]
Anyway, for never catching a wiper or cat, we ended up with 4 wipers and 10 cats for the newbies to devour. We returned 7 wipers and about 20 cats. We only fished the boils for an hour and had to leave to get ready for work today. I threw a rattlin rapala for cats before the boils started and hooked a fish that i thought would be over 20#'s. I fought it for 5 minutes and let my friend have it for 5 minutes to "get a feel". I got it to the boat and it was atleast a 20# carp. One hell of a fight hooked in th dorsal fin!![pirate]
One wiper i caught had a large rattle trap sideways in it's mouth!They had the shad right on the rocks again and were extremely agressive. There were some huge boils right in the channel of the marina and all the way up to the ladders. I love showing someone how much fun they have been missing. Their eyes light up with every fish.[cool]
Here is some pics.
[signature]
Sounds like great fishing! I'll have to give willard another go and hope to catch something this time... I'm going to mantua tomorrow so I actually catch something after 2 excersions with no fish.

So I have another novice question... what is a boil?
[signature]
[black]From the Fishing Glossary Forum:[/black]
[black][/black]
[black]"Boil- Disturbance of the surface of the water by predators forcing their prey to the top and feeding."[/black]
[black][/black]
[black]At Willard, at certain times of the year, the wipers will surround a school of shad and viciously attack them. The shad try to get away and the wipers are chasing them on the surface. It looks like the water is boiling. Very fun to fish, because the wipers are eating so aggressively.[/black]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[signature]
A boil is when the wipers surround the shad and then chase them upwards and it looks like the water is boiling.You will see the birds diving down on the shad and sometimes you will se wipers go airborne.Cool stuff hope you see a boil one of these days.
[signature]
LH2,

That is just how my luck goes. Decided to take my boat home last week (since my "real" job starts Monday) and then everyone gets into the Wipers!!

Oh well I will try and get even with the Mac's. Besides, shouldn't you be scouting deer and elk instead???

Glad you had a grea time.

Jason
[signature]
Well you know how it goes. If i scout i don't get anything. If i don't scout i always get something. Last year on the mz elk hunt i got to my "camp" spot at 10 pm the night before the opener. Never even been in the place i hunted before. Shot a nice 6-point bull at 11 am from about 7 yards! The mz deer hunt i scouted 3 times with nice bucks every time and come opening morning, i saw nothing even resembling a deer. I will leave it up to chance again.
[signature]