Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly boxes
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Fly boxes can cost one as little as the price of a hamburger to a tank full of gas. What has worked well for you? Size, utilitarian, cost etc. Got $55.00 [Tongue] here is a C&F box.
[/size][/green][/font][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=18186;][/center]
[signature]
CF's are nice. I have one but don't use it anymore. I've gone to the SA's System X. Waterproof and you can buy the inserts. Get one insert for different rivers you fish. There is an insert for nymphs, dries, streamers. Better priced then the CF, which is overpriced in my very humble but correct opinion.
[url "http://www.traditionalangler.com/SA_SystemX_FlyBoxes.asp"]http://www.traditionalangler.com/SA_SystemX_FlyBoxes.asp[/url]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]The S&A's are certainly better priced. I do like the little compartment for splits, beads etc.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I have cheap numerous size boxes.

The different sizes (thickness also) fit different pockets better and being different helps me find what I want. My orange one has larger nymphs and small streamers. The thin wide long one has small nymphs in it. The gray one has small drys on one side and the deep side of it flat foam side has larger drys and drys without hackle on the bottom surface.
The two small plastic ones that are snapped together - one has midges pupa and larva in it. the other one has midge drys and few odd ball drys. The thin small white one in my shoulder pocket has more midges and midge emergers. and on and on.

Oh, all most all of them are tethered to my vest so I can't leave them on a rock, or have them go rushing down the river or have it fall out of my hand splashing 150 midges about in a 7 foot radius.

Water has a force that attracts anything loose - something similar to magnetism.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Speaking about posts that get edited - sometimes mine will just disappear. I made one yesterday on this subject - so where did it go? Oh well at the risk of repeating myself - I have a lot of boxes of all different sizes and shapes. The ones I like best are the Micros made by Plano. They are only 4½x3x1¼ two sided and transparent. There are 20 comparments consisting of 4 different sizes. I can fit several of these dudes in my vest without being weighted down. For midges, nymphs etc I use the conventional box with the ribbed foam pads. The only creatures that I am interested in impressing are the trout and they don't really care - so I am told. In fact they don't even show an interest in some of the flies that I offer.[Tongue][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
As I stated earlier I like to tether my boxes to my equipment. Especially a float tube.

Most of my cheap boxes do not have a place to hook a lanyard or a zinger.

In that case I drill a hole near one corner. Through both sides of the box. I deburr the holes. Put a short peice of heavy monofilament ( a section out of an old leader works) through the holes. Tie a knot and the put some Dave's fleximent or Knot Sense over the knot ( any flexible gap filling adhesive should work). Thus I have a loop in the box that I can hook something to.

[Image: FlyBoxLoop1.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Might want to try attaching a piece of tackle end to your box with some apoxy.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[Wink][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Somebody must be reading my mind for as I was responding to this post I got a notice that I had mail. Well it was from my good friends at Orvis inviting me to a private sale. Oh I don't need another rod at this time but they were featuring their floating fly boxes[/size][/green][/font].
[left][#500000]Orvis Lightweight Floating Fly Boxes [/#500000][/left] [left][#500000]Indestructible boxes are 75% lighter than our adjustable boxes. Stepped on, folded in half, or run over, they pop back into shape. Saltwater box features elastic shock cord that keeps the box securely closed. Specify ripple/ripple, ripple/flat (shown), or flat/flat. [/#500000] [li][#500000]Small: 4¼" x 3" x 1¼" [/#500000] [li][#500000]Medium: 5¾" x 3¾" x 1¼" [/#500000] [li][#500000]Large: 6¾" x 4½" x 1¼" [/#500000] [li][#500000]Saltwater: 8" x 4½" x 2¼"[/#500000]
[/li]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=18221;]
[signature]
Floating boxes are good. One time I dropped a floating box while standing in the river. All I had to do is bend over and retrieve it off the top of the water.

Floating boxes are bad. One time standing in the middle of a river I dropped a floating fly box in the water. Within a second it was about 5 feet down river. It is not easy to trying to run to shore and then down a cobble stone bank to catch up and pass your fly box several hundred feet down stream so you can wade out to it. It probably was not one of the smarter things I have done in my life. If you are on a lake it might be very good.
[signature]
[reply]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Might want to try attaching a piece of tackle end to your box with some apoxy.[/size][/green][/font] [/reply]

That would work nicely, too. It would be the ticket for foam boxes like the Orvis ones you picture above.

I selected the heavy mono and the drilled holes as I thought it was a little more stout.
[signature]
AHHHH 55 $!!! no way i just got the best box ever from a site online called irideus(link in my signature) Their boxes run about 20-15?

Like this one, is only about 20$
[Image: f698_1.jpg]

and this one is really nice, not sure on the price thou
[Image: GreenWater_Fly_Box.JPG]

Anyway I really like it and they have wooden boxes too, I like the plastic or aluminum ones thou!

[font "Garamond"][#ff0000]Sorry ILF123 but I had to remove the advertising links from your signature.[/#ff0000][/font]
Those are sweet boxes!
You and your brother have SKILLS...beautiful talent.
[signature]
Thse are some nice boxes.
Do they have any for the Saltwater Fly Fishing Anglers?[cool]
[signature]
to be honest I didn't even know there was a difference, maybe give them an email from their site? Let me know how you make out!

[#ff0000][font "Garamond"]Sorry ILF123 but I had to remove the advertising links from your post and signature...please click on this [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...um/gforum.cgi?do=faq"]link[/url] for further information on what can and cannot be posted on this site.. [/font][/#ff0000]
Well they have to be much bigger...LOL
[signature]
You are correct in one aspect. Bigger boxes are correct.

The other more important aspect is that they need to be airtight to ensure that there will be no oxygen to rust out the hooks.

The selection on hooks is very limited which make many saltwater flies as a one time deal.

You know as well as I do, it takes time to tie them up.[cool]
[signature]
Well sorry about the links, but the company name is on the pictures.. I guess my website has nothign to do with fishing nor my brothers so understandable!
[signature]
I do not know why by my signature is still there I thought it was removedSad

Edit:
I think i figured it out
I have been making some great fly boxes over past few years. My companys name is Irideus. You should be able to find us online but I think it is against policy to post the site here. My goal was to bring high quality fly boxes to the market at a price we could fish with. Our exclusive GreenWater foam and box right through the whole product line you will find organized solutions to days on the water. I recommend anyone who reads this to check out our products at Irideus.
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Hi there Hwy1Steelhead and thank you for acknowledging our posting rules. Once you have your 15th post, posting your site on the Advertisers & Fishing Related Spam forum will be permissible. Here is the link:
[/size][/#008000][/font][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=75"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=75[/url]
[signature]