Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
starvation monday with Rapo and lost prop!!
Went fishing at starvation on monday with rapo and had for the most part a really fun time. We started out by doing some exploration to see where the fish were and finally found a decent school off the points at rabit gulch. The walleye we caught were in about 25-30ft of water and were pretty little and far between, but the perch were probably some of the biggest I have ever caught in utah with lots of 12-13 inchers and one 14" that fought like crazy. Alas the 5lb walleye eluded me on this trip. The algae bloom is really bad and it is driving the fish away from their normal hiding places.
Now for the Sad part of the day. We decided to fish the selaratus (spelling?) wash and motored down to that part of the lake and just as we hit it I stopped to check the depth and when I tried to go agian nothing. No forward no reverse. So I pulled up the outdrive and no prop. The wind was blowing like crazy so I had to drop anchor and hope the wind didn't blow us too far. Luckily I had cell service so i called the ranger and he was able to pull us in. Luckily I had some extra props at home, but the mounting hardware cost me 60 bucks (ouch). Now I just have to decide if I need to put a 14/21, 15/21 or 14/19 propeller on. Anyways I forgot my camera so I don't have any pics this time.
jed Burton
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great report...right up to the part about the prop. OUCH.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those perchies are some healthy rascals, ain't they?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will be hitting the lake again about the 7th. I'm guessing that the fish will be about the same depth and area. They usually don't go much past 30 feet until full iceup. I plan to test that theory anyway.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
BUMMER JED. THAT HAPPEND TO ME BEFORE AS WELL. GLAD YOU GOT OFF.
[signature]
Harsh about loosing the prop. Did your shear pin come loose and cause you to loose the retaining nut?
[signature]
It is on a volvo penta outdrive and they don't have shear pins. It just has a cone chaped piece that screws in to hold on the propeller and a bolt that screws in to the back of that to hold it in place and I think the bold vibrated loose and then the cone thing just unscrewed itself,
jed
[signature]
Jed, sorry to hear of your misfortune in losing your prop. I have dinged up more than my share, but fortunately never lost one. Glad to hear that you caught some fish. Sounds like Starvation is going to be one of the perch hot spots this winter, for those willing to make the long drive.
[signature]
Hi Jed,

As far as fishing goes, it was a good trip. I was impressed how well your tri-hull rode, nice boat. As for your prop, I think I would put some Loctite (threadlocker) on the bolt, that should keep it from vibrating out. Sorry to hear it cost 60 bucks for the mounting hardware. Hopefully this won't happen again.
[signature]
Jed,
what year is your volvo penta outdrive. Mine is a 2001 and has a sheer pin??? Maybe there is a conversion kit or something???? Bummer!
[signature]
Sorry to hear about your prop! I was there Sunday also and caught quite a few. The biggest perch we got was 12 and a half. Your 14 incher had to of been close to 2 pounds, huh. The state record was 15 and an eighth at 2-11. I wonder if the new record will come from there? See ya on the water.
[signature]
When I got the moutning hardware I found out that there was a peice missing on mine that came with the boat. There is a washer that locks the mechanism from rotating as soon as it is screwed down and it wasnt on mine so I am guessing it got lost by one of the former owners. IF it had been on there the cap could never have screwed off. Oh well I guess you live an learn.
jed
[signature]