Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okay so I did iT!
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=18279;][/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I use to make my own lures for bows, cuts & steelhead. Well I finally decided that it was time that yours truly ventured into the world of fly tying. So I picked up the Dnya-King Fisher kit. After reviewing the CD & book that was included I now have a better understanding of the purpose of the individual Dr.Slick tools. Found the whipping tool to be quite interesting. Saw it used many times at FF shows but had no idea as to how it worked. Rather simlpe if one takes a few minutes to view and read the instructions. Although I like to teach my self how to do things thought that taking a 4 hr class at Bob Marriotts might be a better direction to take.[/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]So anything that you want to know about tying don't call me. Call Flygoddess. At least I might have a slight clue as to what is being discussed.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Those whip finishing tools are tricky. Had to show my ol' man a few times but, he's got it now. Just remeber to stay on the same horison as the hook and form that triangle.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]You have got that right. Stick to the fundamentals and one can't go wrong. I have been practicing whipping with house hold sewing thread. No use wasting the good stuff.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Hey Dryrod, Glad to hear you're taking the leap. Here is something that worked for me. I learned to tie a whip finish by hand first, then tying one with the tool was a breeze. I know this may not work for eveyone, but worked for me. Just my 2 cents.
Post some pics of those flies.

P.S. Learn to tie one by hand, then if you ever tie streamside, and find you left your finishing tool at home on the bench, you don't need to sweat.
[signature]
Ahh, I see you have more money than wise decisions. .... The cost of your flys has just gone through the roof.

Your other half will appreciate it. It will keep you at home at night .... except on those nights you are off to the local fly shop to buy materials for the fly that you want to tie and to see what the latest and greatest tying materials are.

Enjoy the learning.

Many shops have free tying seminars. They have a wealth of information. Going to them will help a bunch. I got some of my free training at Bass Pro Shops.
[signature]
Here are two inexpensive books that I found quite useful in getting started.

Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple by Skip Morris. - good simple straight forward stuff.

Universal Fly Tying Guide by Dick Stewart - has some good information about different feather types and fur types, hook types, fly proportions that Skip's book does not cover.

dB
[signature]
[#008000]Thanks guys for the encouraging words. No problem with the whipping tool once I read the directions. Wasn't really hoping to save money on flies. Just another hobby to keep me from getting bored. Lost my wife a few years ago and it is still kind of difficult facing the long quiet nights.[/#008000]
[signature]