Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Used Outboards?
I have been looking around for a good used outboard and was wondering if there were any older models that I should definitely stay away from? I have always stayed away from outboards in the past, I had a bad experience with a Mariner/Yamaha years ago and have always had I/O or straight inboard boats since. The cost of fuel has me looking into something smaller, so an outboard is the only choice. With fuel nearing $4/gal, the 23 gal/hr boat's days are numbered.
I am looking for something in the 25 to 50 HP range with remote controls. I'd like to have power tilt and trim, but I realize that beggars can't be choosy there. Most later motors are way too price for me and I don't plan to go out far, mostly just rivers and back bays. I am looking at a mid 70's Mercury 50HP, an early 70's Johnson 40HP, and a mid 80's Mariner 35 HP. None have power tilt or trim, and all appear to be very clean used motors, all have seen saltwater, but all need something, thus why they are affordable. Two need starters, and one has an intermittent ignition problem, which I was told was a $200 stator. All three will need to props to match my application.
I keep seeing Mercury outboards listed for sale with reverse problems, is that a weak point on some engines? All of these engines have been sitting, and most likely will need a good tune-up, new lube and maybe carb work, but all run and have good compression.
What are my options for adding power tilt? I've seen some pretty shaky looking add on adapters that set the motor back away from the boat. They look like they'd add a lot of strain on the transom?
Any suggestions? I am still looking and am not in too big a hurry, but I just wanted to know if there are any to stay clear of?
[signature]
Just my two cts, but I'd go with the Johnson from the mid 70's. Mercs where known for failures back then. Today they all trade parts and lower ends so they seem to be all alike. I've had bad luck with mercs and Yamaha's from the 70's and 80's but I think it was the bad maintenance of the previous owners. Buying used it's always a crap shoot.
[signature]
as gregg said," buying used is a crap shoot".to tell you which ones has had the most problems is tough,they all had problems at one time or another,as far a merc having reverse problems ,i have a 1979,70 hp and have had no problems.its a freashwater motor,i have run it in the salt for the past 6 years,a little maintance when i get home its good to go again,OMC(johnson/evinrude) was the most popular back in the 70's-60's and the stator seemed to be the weak link,i dont no the reason,but friends of mine have them and are replacing them constantly.
to get a good used motor will be based on the past owners on how well they maintained it.my best advise is not to rush it,it took me a year to find this one i have now.winter is comming and you should find more for sale.
for tilt/trim kits i would go with CMC,Cook Manufacturing Corp.,they are the leader in these,they have the kits to fit 5-130 hp anything bigger you would have to go to jackplates.these kits are only a 6 inch setback

good luck on your hunt
[signature]
I had a few Mariner motors back in the late 80's, 9.9, 15 and 35 Hp, while they were all easy to start and never left me stranded, they all had idle and carb problems, and all of them seemed to go though props pretty regularly. I kept wiping out the inner rubber hub bushing. I used to go though up to 5 or 6 props a year. I never hit anything and never damaged a blade, they would simply spin on the hub. I was using original hubs and even tried having a few reconditioned, but it made no difference. A buddy of mine was running an Evinrude and had no problems on the same type of boat.

I just picked up a boat mainly for parts, it's got a super clean looking 50 Hp Mercury on it, the motor is from the mid 70's, I did a compression check on it and it's got 150 PSI in all 4 cylinders but has intermittent spark. It looks to have a new stator on it, and overall the motor looks new, no corrosion or salt damage and I was told that it was only run in freshwater. It will start, but any shock or vibration seems to shut it down. The wiring harness insulation is pretty well rotted and I am guessing that there's a loose or broken wire somewhere. Moving the harness while it's running shuts it right off. It's been sitting for about 10 years or so in a barn, by the looks of it it never saw much use. The prop has some edge wear but other than that in appearance it looks almost new. I have nothing invested in it at this point, so if I need to spend a bit to make it right, I think it should be worth it.
I was surprised to see that its old enough to be Made in USA, not Japan, a buddy has a newer Mercury 50 Hp that looks to be Japanese? Mine is the old 3 piece cover style motor, not the later one piece cover.
I am still looking for another smaller motor, I need something in the 25 to 35 Hp range. I wasn't really looking for a 50 Hp, but having the chance to grab it for free, I couldn't pass it up. It's a little to big to put on my aluminum 15 foot boat, but I may decide to resurrect the hull it was on. That one only needs some minor floor repair and some trailer work.
[signature]
you might try looking into mercury dealers and find out if the by back the 1 year old motors from the fishing guides up in alaska or other places. most of the guides up north only use their motors for 1 year. then some of the mercury dealers buy them back and sell them at a pretty good price, and they still have factory warrinty.
marine products in salt lake 900 west 1700 south, buy back the motors. later chuck
[signature]