Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard question
Where and what is everyone using for smallies at willard? Are they in with the wipers or by themselves? I've been wanting to try for them next time I go out. Wipers are cool but they're kind of dumb. Any help would be great.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The smallies are hugging the rocks or hanging around underwater structure (other rocks). They are gorging on the small 2" shad, just like the wipers and other predators. There are times when you will see "mini boils" right next to the rocks, where smallies and large bluegills are chasing the little shad and jumping clear out of the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have caught a lot of them this summer by tossing small plastics right up to the rocks and letting them sink only a foot or so before starting to reel parallel to the rocks. The larger fish will usually be out on the outside edge of the rocks and down about 5 to 10 feet, and will hit the same small crankbaits and other lures you throw for wipers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since there are lots of crawdads in Willard too, and since they are a prime food source for smallies, you can often do will with 3" to 5" plastics in crawdad colors. They also hit small crawdad colored crankbaits, but the rocks like those too and that can get expensive.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the best areas for smallies is from just inside the north side of the south marina to a couple hundred yards north of the marina entrance along the rocks. The corner at the north dike entrance is sometimes swarming with smallies, but most of them are only a few inches. The fun part comes when you are tossing small stuff and playing with smallies and a gang of those pesky wipers comes in and ruins your fun by eating your lures before the smallies can get to them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also be warned, the catfish are unusually sight feeding oriented this year in the higher and clearer water. They will hit lures next to the rocks right along with the other fish. If you want some real fun, take a flyrod and throw some white buggers on a sink tip line. They also hit black pretty good.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks that's some really good info
[signature]