Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Labor Day Pond Fishing - tough conditions
Got an invite to fish a pond today and with it looking like it might rain I decided to give it a try...so here's the report:

air temp - 68
atmosphere - overcast
humidity - 90%
wind - NNE3mph
water - gin clear

Today the bass were herding bass minnows into the shallows and then viciously attacking them, sometimes jumping onto the bank and then back into the water...at times, the water appeared to be boiling from the voracious attacks of the schooling bass. Threw Tiki worms at em, but they just ignored them totally, tried little cranks, rattl traps, tubes, craws, small surface plugs all to no avail...started casting tiny panther martins and still they ignored my offerings, so I went back to the car and pulled out my fly rod and tied on a tiny black popper with a size 14 hook...that was just the ticket...one the first cast, I landed this beauty...

[Image: flyBASS.jpg]

this bass measured in just at 19" and really gave me a thrill, leaping out of the water and making some good long runs, but eventually it succumbed to my will. The day continued on a positive note, I caught another 13 bass on my flyrod, all approximately between 15" - 19".
As the sun started setting lower on the horizon, I got a brainstorm and cut a Tiki worm in half and T-rigged it weightless on a 4/0 chartreuse wide-gap hook - with cutting the worm, I cut it on an angle so I could scoot it across the top like a minnow sized popper...well that did it, I caught another 5 bass on this rig casting it tight and parallel to the shore in 6" of water...they viciously attacked the reduced size worm just like the bass minnows that were being pushed up against the shoreline.
Back started hurting pretty bad, but who cared at this point - I fished from NOON until 5p.m. and caught 18 bass.

Nature Notes: saw a couple kingfishers, red headed woodpeckers, vultures, a red tailed hawk, and a swallowtail - see pic below
[Image: butterfly.jpg]

...all in all, another great day was had by me not far from the Kankakee.

[signature]