Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the weirdest thing you've caught?
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I just remembered a part of my Labor Day trip that was funny. I had hooked into a nice fish and was in the process of bringing it in when three Pelican's landed real close. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I wasn't paying attention to them, but My sister in-law yells at me that they are after my fish.
He was, and I had visions of this protected bird flying off with my fish and my fly still in it's mouth....what to do. Anyway, he got close to my fish so I started slapping the side of my pontoon with my hand to scare him off. I would reel a little more them start slapping the side of my boat again. Took forever to get this fish in, then the birds took off and I felt at ease to let this poor fish go. It was amusing after all was done.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
A Bat,A Sea Gull, and a bird that I call a Dipper.
I also caught a 260# sucker once. I was on the Berry and sunk a size 4 Woolly Bugger deep into my right forearm.
After about 10 minutes of debate, I grabbed my forceps and yanked the fly out with a good hunk of my arm still on the hook.
[signature]
A bat, and a gull. But these seem fairly "normal", in an odd sort of way.

I think the weirdest was a [url "http://www.tolweb.org/Holothuroidea"]Sea Cucumber[/url] pulling a big streamer on a weighted line. No fight, but a lot of "what do we do with that?" when I got it up on deck.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there eBob - interesting link. Reminds me of my days studying biology.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[Sad][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Was fishing the Snoqualmie in Wa when I got snagged real good. Couldn't see any trees stumps etc as the water was quite stained. Walk up a foot bridge near by and discovered that some one had dumped a couch in the river. I mean there was nothing around. Or perhaps it was mother nature doing her thing and washed it down stream during a recent flood.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Once I was spin fishing a rapalla on the Henries fork and caught a Kingfisher. It wasn't much bigger than the rapala but it dived down and got it and it got the bird. I landed it as quickly as I could but it had one of the hooks in it's head. I felt bad but there was nothing I could do.
[signature]
I got a pelican, that dove on my ladyfish as it hit the water. I was able to free it, without damage. I also got a couple of seagulls on shrimp-one took it in the air! A couple of other birds through the years with bait. I quit baitfishing [almost completely Smile ] in 1987.
But the weirdest, was a small gator on a buzzbait. I threw past a big log and tried to bump the end of it, just as it got to the log, wham! A 3' gator grabbed it! I got him in and was able to free him unharmed.
[signature]
[size 1]A 3' gator grabbed it! I got him in and was able to free him unharmed. [/size]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Wow! I think I would have cut line and counted my loss on both hands all fingers.[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Okay, I remembered another one. I was fishing a nymph on a sinking line at Hebgen Lake a couple of years ago. I felt something hit my line, I started to strip in and I thought, man this heavy but no fight, didn't feel like the white fish I had been catching. Kept pull and finally landed a volcanic rock that my fly got stuck in one of the holes. The boats around me wanted to know if I was going to mount it. I still have that trophy.[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[reply]
[size 1]A 3' gator grabbed it! I got him in and was able to free him unharmed. [/size]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Wow! I think I would have cut line and counted my loss on both hands all fingers.[/size][/font]
Actually, the gator was not hard to handle. I just held him down with my foot and took the hook out with my hand. Of course, a 3' gator is a baby. Now, this 21 foot gator don't eat buzz baits-check out the photo, and it's real!
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font] [/reply]
[signature]
Hmmm, the photo didn't show up? I'm trying again-it's worth a look! Smile
Now I see, I didn't hit upload attachment! Sad
[signature]
I've seen that picture before. I bet it wasn't even deer hunting season[pirate]
[signature]
[reply]
I've seen that picture before. I bet it wasn't even deer hunting season[pirate] [/reply]
Smile It was a good gator to compare my 3 footer to. Over 7 times as long as my buzzbait gator! Smile
[signature]
I caught bag of discarded muskrat carcasses in a small river near my house. I could not believe my eyes or my nose!!![crazy]
I also had a friend catch a mallard(duck) on a hot dog fishing for catfish, and witnessed a seagull take a 6" long Zara Spook fishing for tiger muskies. Hooks in both feet. Those birds are extremely mean.
[signature]