Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comins Lake
Went to Comins for Labor Day (actually just saturday) and didnt do too well. After fixing pontoon boat problems, first 2 casts resulted in 18" rainbow and 20" pike from the same hole. Used Rapala J-11 in rainbow trout color. Lots of casts with no other success. Just happy to be fishing. Later on we hit a little creek and caught dozens of little cuts and rainbows. That was awesome because it requires different strategies with all of the hazards in your way. Saw herds of elk with no bowhunters around. They were bugleing everywhere and even got within 100 yards and next thing you know antlers locked and dust flew. Awesome weekend.
[signature]
WOW! Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for sharing.
BaySport
[signature]
from what i thought that the state isnt stocking any fish in that lake until they get rid of all the pike. Thats what ive been told but not sure when this is happening
[signature]
I think that's the story. I've also heard that they are draining & treating Basset lake north of McGill to eliminate the bucket biologists source of pike. I grew up in Ely & am pretty sure I know the jerk that's puttin' pike back in there. If it happens again, I'd volunteer to lead the lynch mob.
[signature]
where are they getting these pike from are there any lakes that have them naturally any where near there?

i used to live up in Northern NY we had a ton of pike up there and muskiee which are larger. I remember fishing off of a boat on Lake Champlain cought a 15in rainbow while i was reeling it in all i could see was a huge mouth come up out of no where and inhale the trout i had caught and snap my line. It was a Pike or Muskiee about 10lbs worth i think, definatly aggressive fish.
[signature]
The Nevada Fish & Game introduced them into Basset Lake back in the late 60s in an attempt to control and use the carp population as a food source. It was really a bang up pike fishery for a few years.

All the time I was growing up in Ely the only thing in Comins was chubs. In the late 70s or early 80s they put pike in there & the fishing was nothing short of fantastic. Then the pike ate up their forage & began stunting. Along came an extended drought & they poisoned them out & when the water came back they introduced trout. A certain bucket biologist in the area went to Basset Lake & caught some pike & re-introduced them to Comins & wrecked things.
[signature]