Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing a broken reel seat
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I have a custom St Croix rod that has a damaged reel seat. I would like to remove and replace the existing cheap reel seat with a good Fuji reel seat. I have heard you can boil the rod handle to breakdown the epoxy that is used to adhere the reel seat and cork to the blank. This supposedly will not damage the cork and it can be used again. Is this correct and are there other ways to disassembly the cork and reel seat and save expensive cork? What do you use to clean the old epoxy from the blank? Thanks for any tips or info.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[black]I'm not sure about the boilling thing, the epoy I use is flex coat, it's water proof, not sure if it would work either. I've used a dull or the back side of a knife the scrap the old glue off.[/black]
it will chip off, just have to be careful and not scratch the rod unless it's under the handle area. some times the seat is glued on to stay, you have to cut them off. a dremell tool and a very thin grinding disc does a nice job. I've also just cut the cork handle off with it also. if the bottom handle is good then you don't have to take it off, just the fore grip needs to. hope this helps later chuck
[signature]