Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just getting started
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Was wondering just where I want to do my fly tying. The garage was one thought as I have a nice workshop area. But then it can get too hot in the summer and to cool in the winter. Turning on my big fan would be a disaster for the fly material would certainly take flight. Well I decided to do my tying at my computer desk. It is the right height, bright lighting and a comfortable chair. Plus I can watch my DVD on tying and also several on-line videos by LeRoy Hyatt. I store all my needs on a tray that fits onto a folding stand. This way when I’m done I can just move the stuff out of my way. Found that a long block of hard styrofoam [18x1½x3”] works just great for holding all my FT tools. Just stick the tool into the block and it holds fast. Since I don’t plan on tying flies for a living this setup will do me fine. Any one have any suggestions? Oh if you can guess what I made here then maybe I am making some progress. Hope to do better in the future.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=18541;]
[signature]
Hey Dryrod, your fly looks like it might get taken as a brown (marabou) leech. Anything with marabou is always worth tossing, it's a Trout's 2nd favourite food (Peacock Herl is the favourite).

As for your tying setup, you next step might be to attach the foam block to a sheet of 1/4" plywood or other sheet, maybe 24"x30" or some other size convenient for you. Then you can leave some of your stuff out (so the cat can get into it and spread it around <G>). This is the first step toward a "proper tying table". then there's the evolution of having bits of dowel sticking up to hold spools, and custom cut recesses to hold bottles of head cement, and other such sticky stuff.

For me, I'm still looking for a decent roll-top style desk with enough storage and enough height under the cover for my vise.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Thanks there eBay - It is blood marabou. The tray I am using has 1½" sides which keeps the styrofoam in place. Maybe I should place the tying tools on a bungie cord and suspend them from the ceiling. then when needed I can just pull them down from the ceiling. LOL[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]