Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National food aleart, dont eat.....ecoli
[size 1][size 1][b]National food aleart, dont eat.....ecoli [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]National alert,

dont eat fesh spinich that you have picked up at the store in the last few days.

Fresh spinach has been contaminated with ecoli,

naturaly found in the entistines of farm animals,

ecoli is contagous, a person who is infected with it can spread it to others by handling food.

the illness has taken one life is wisconson and made many others ill all over the country.

symptoms (common)
Diarrhea (can eventualy become bloody)
Abdominal Cramps

sever cases can cause Liver failure and hemolytic uremic syndrom (hus)

People at most risk of sever symptoms are the young, elderly, people with cronic illness, people taking antibiotics are highly susceptable to ecoli and any other food borne illness. [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]if you have bought fresh or bagged raw spinach in the last couple days throw it out, they are not recalling it, [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]the report says they have tracked the out break over 17 states to spinach but they dont know the sorce for the spread, meaning if it was a farmer at fault errigating with contaminated water or a migrant worker who is carrying the illness who handled the harvest.[/size]

========================

I know this isnt fishing, but it is a realy need to know by everyone.

I dont know if you knew this or not, you can remove this post tonight or tomarow, but I thought it important enough everyone should know about it.[/b][/size]
[signature]
Wisconsin Resident Dies After E.coli Outbreak
An outbreak of E. coli caused by bagged fresh spinach has left at least one
person dead in Wisconsin and 50 others sick around the country, according to
FDA officials.

MORE DETAILS: <[url "http://www.channel3000.com/tu/5iVdBHf1K.html"]http://www.channel3000.com/tu/5iVdBHf1K.html[/url]>

its now up to 20 states
[signature]
Dave thanks for the heads up, i will leave this till they say that spinach is safe again
[signature]
I saw on the news reels today, farmers plowing spinach feilds under, They also showed migrant workers and again no restroom ficilites or sanitation equipment made available to migrant workers.

that is the problem with migrant workers, they dont know what they are passing, the avrage american born worker dosnt know the dangers relating to contamination of food handling.

the report from our local end was about deer, warning deer hunters about the dangers of ecoli in deer, this goes with out saying, all herd animals, cows deer elk buffalo bison moose carabou ect... carry ecoli in the intestine.

any way they said be sure to cook deer meat to an inside tempreture of 155 degrees or higher to kill off ecoli that may have been spilt by gun shot or poor processing....
[signature]
Well today Colorado joined in the ranks of states confirming ecoli food born illness caused by spinach.

The spinach industry is still claiming they can’t pin point the contamination.

I still think that because of the amount of spinach that would be contaminated during the irrigation process we would have had by far greater out break of the illness.

My money is still on the illegal migrant worker. One that doesn’t have to be tested for communicable illnesses like tb typhoid hepatitis and many other diseases that are transferable from person to person, which means from person to food to person.

Any one here remember the story of typhoid marry?
[signature]
Well some people just dont listen,

a man chose to avoid the wornings about the spinach in Detroit last week. cooked it, ate it, and now suffer montazuma's revenge.

I feal bad for him, its a terible thing to come down with, but whats worst in his case is he is a chef.

by our laws in the state of michigan he is now not even allowed to step foot in the front or back door including dining area of the resturant where he works. meaning untill his system is clear of the virus he can not return back to work or even visit as a guest. (this could be weeks) and like many kitchens he has no insurance to cover this type of insodent.

and still the search goes on, where did it come from?

This National Food alreat is still in effect for spinach. be especialy careful if you see Spinach back on the shelf or in the freezer. There are always those less scrupulous people who think they will freeze it and sell it as frozen...
[signature]
Well, the final word is out today for the out break.

the "Official Word" is, the ecoli came from a single spinach farm next door to a cattal farm. The clame is run off from the cattal farm contaminated the spinach. ?
[signature]
well the news has retracted the official "word" and said the cattle farm is about a mile from the spinach farm, but the same virus was found on the cattle farm in a pile of moo chip.

and the spectulations goes on....
[signature]
Contamination of vegetables is common when they are grown directly in fresh animal manure or watered with Liquid manure. If the bunch of spinach is complete except for the roots don't throw it away just pick off all the leaves except the tiny green shoot in the middle. discard the leaves in the compost heap or garbage bin. Plant the remnant of the bunch in the vege garden it will survive, grow new roots and go on to produce many more leaves that are not contaminated. Only fertilise the surface with slow release complete fertilizer granules or if you must use fresh animal manures, dig the soil out creating a trench to a depth of 12" back fill with 6" of manure and replace the soil forming an 12" earthen blanket. The spinach roots will head down through the soil, find the manure and the bunch will thrive. The leaves will be insulated from the
E coli by the soil. Manure treated this way does not result in weed growth.
[signature]
being an ol farmer my self, we used to stockpile animal dung and start spreading once a crop was harvested, thus giving the manure time to compost over winter.

in california, thay cant do that, every feild has to be planted at all times.

the last I heard they were blaiming it on wild boar in the area, which leads me to wonder how the wild boar got in to the cattal ranch and added their feices to the cattal manure pile.

but thats just me....
[signature]
Its not only E-coli you need to be concerned about. In Australia, recyclers render down green waste which comprises lawn clippings, branches of trees and shrubs, weeds, topsoil etc that is collected each week from households and dumped at the Council tips. They mix it with animal manures and stack it in large piles in the open to build up heat to kill seeds and microbial pathogens. This is to rot it down until it becomes a suitable product for potting mix, top soil for lawns, garden mixes etc etc. I heard a scientist chap on TV warning the public particularly gardeners to make sure they wash their hands well and don't breath the air in close proximity to the soil as even after going through this heat treatment process it can still contain Legionnaire's disease. I have also heard when it reaches a certain stage of the rotting down process it is bagged and stacked indoors in huge piles 30 feet high in a large factory warehouse where it continues the rotting down process inside the plastic bags covered with the manufactures logo and advertising information printing until it is eventually sold in the same bags months later to the unwary public in Nurseries and Garden Centers.
[signature]
the stuff we get here in michigan as cow manure is mostly clay, sand and 10% cow manure/stall waist. (straw, hay ect...)

the stuff in alstraila is not allowed in the us. no animal wast fertilizers are allowed to pass over in to the united states from out of the country.

this ban came in to being after the mad cow problem cropped up.

you are right that all manure and potting soils in a state of decay, but so is your front lawn.

probably the worst to work with is vermaculite, untill it is thuroghly moisturized. the particals is so find you can inhale them. so goggles and respitory mask are escential.

its a good thing they dont use gibsom in it any more.

in the summer time the only fertilizers I use is blood and bone meal and fish emulsion.

in the spring I use processed cow manure around the roses and strawberries. fresh straw is placed above the manure around the strawberries. just to keep the berries up off the ground.

early spring before planting, I use all the fish remains left over from what I caught though the winter, I dig a trench under the rows to be planted and place a healthy layer 3-4 inches thick. thinner if I am running short of fish remains for the spring.

as soon as the spring and summer fish start comming in, I dig trenches between the rows and fill with about 6 inches thick of remains. Every year my garden gets richer in nutrients.

I get maximum yeald for minimum space. I dont grow underground vegies in that area, not a good idea.
[signature]
G'Day Dave , soil over here in the Sydney basin is a very finely decomposed sandstone with sticky orange / yellow clay subsoil and blue greasy shale below that on a sandstone bedrock. So all top soils sold here are 60% river flat silt which being 40 feet deep is generally sub soil. It is dark brown gutless stuff having little to recommend it as garden soil or lawn top dressing. It is incapable of absorbing water without the addition of expensive soil wetting agents. Rain or hosing causes the water to run straight off the surface. The inclusion of pig or poultry manure combined with spent mushroom compost and well rotted recycled refined ground up lawn clippings and garden waste put through a composting process at least separates the sand particles allowing water to penetrate the surface. The microorganisms in the soil eventually break down the "inclusions" so after a couple of years you are back to square one with sandy soil that wont absorb water and you have to buy more garden mix. I also buy bales of compressed Sugar Cane and refer to it as Queensland Grass Clippings. I spread it around the surface of the gardens as a mulch to shield it from the hot dry wind that occasional blows in from the desert in the outback. The Sugar Cane has a slightly sulphurous smell about it when first spread but the flowers and vegetables do well on it. Due to our "Worst Drought Ever" we are on water restrictions here now and are only permitted to water the lawns and gardens by hand on Sundays and Wednesdays which is rather laborious. I have installed a couple of computers which control an irrigation system with Drip Eze brand Pressure Compensating brown drip hoses and have it running through all of the gardens. All new housing subdivisions here have the thin surface top soil and grasses skimmed off the underlying clay by Bobcats during development. The clay is terraced to make the building blocks flat and easy to build Concrete slab on the ground type housing. The soil that is skimmed off the surface goes off by truck to the "waste complex" where it is put through the process of mixing it with all the "inclusions". The poor suckers eventually move into their new houses to find they are surrounded by a expanse of flat clay that is hard as iron when dry and sticky as glue underfoot when wet. In order to construct gardens and lawns they have to buy soil. So the soil that was skimmed off their land and carted away for free is "re-engineered" and sold back to them at great cost. They do say there is Money in Muck
[signature]
with ground like that, I would shallow out the yard so it holds water like a bowl before ever putting in a lawn.

depending on how well it holds water I might even plant a fish or two..[laugh]

sounds like to me you would be better off using desert or beach sand to cut in to the clay, about 50/50 befor adding enurt matter.
[signature]
A well renown gardener we used to see years ago on his TV Garden show had a saying I often recall "Sand is the least back break but the most heart break". Meaning it is easy to turn with a spade but the plants don't thrive in it. In some areas here houses are built on what are actually ancient coastal sand dunes. The sand is 40 feet deep and you can stand there watering it until the cows come home but it just wont retain water and the plants die. Australia has traveled north from Gondwana land when it broke up millions of years ago splitting apart from Antarctica India Africa and South America. During its journey north parts of it have been under the sea three times so we sometimes see fossilised sea shells in the most unexpected places. The clay is a marine deposit containing millions of ancient dead bodies of plankton that is why it often stinks and the air takes on an unpleasant fishy smell when a trench is opened but combined with a little sand and lots of gipsom it becomes crumbly and less inclined to cake breaking down into a workable garden loam that readily retains moisture. So if you are not afraid of a bit of hard yakka attaining a nice garden is possible.
[signature]
thats a beutiful home, and garden.

you should send in that photo to Better Homes and Gardens mag.

be carefull of the gybsom, our contry has banned the use of gybsom in our products from insulation to potting soil due to it being a cancer causing carcynigon, (sorry spelling)
[signature]
you are right, building a good loamy garden soil takes work. and to get a stable garden takes years of work, and you can never let up, you get one that produces, you have reached your goal, then you have to maintain it to keep it going, just a year or two of highbred plant growth will drain the nutrients right out of a garden.

here is a veiw of part of my garden, sweet corn 10 feet tall, tomato plants 6 feet tall. tomatos ranging from half to three quarter pound some reached two pounds. squash reaching 5 pounds. coliflower the size of basket balls. green beans 11-15 inches long.

It took years to get this soil to the point where it will produce plant life of this nature. and it is all natural.

I built this garden soil my self, I gathered clay from one part of my town and sand from another. mixed the two then added enert matter to fill the void. Both clay and sand was sub soil void of any nutrients. You would think my garden would smell of fish when I turned the soil, it dosnt, there are no remains of the fish skellitons or heads at all.

my biggest battle is slugs. that is a constant battle all summer long. nothing eats them around here, and I have more than my fair share.

this years garden produced 2 bushells of sweet corn, 2 bushells of corn, 5 bushells of squash a bushell of green beans. half dozen coliflower heads plus second growth.

my garden is 8 foot by 12 foot. being a farmer for 43 years and working a micro garden its easy to ballance and maintain favorable soil conditions year after year.

I used to have to tend to a 90 acre farm with a hoe and a rototiller and a wheel barol. No tractor. we had our own live stock where I got my fertilizer from. and it had to be picked up every day.
[signature]
Gypsom hasn't been banned here yet. It is used in what you folk call "Dry Wall". The most common brand here is GYPROK so regardless of the brand delivered to a house site the workers who install it are called GYPROCKERS. Prior to that we had Fibrous Cement Sheeting which was referred to by one and all as Fibro. It was used on external and internal walls and was commonly seen in the poorer neighbourhoods so the residents of those suburbs became nicknamed "The Fibros" and wore the name with pride. A shipment of Fibro was sent over to Vietnam to build housing for the Australian troops serving in that war. When the ship was being unloaded by U.S. Troops someone said what is this fiber in the cement sheets. It was asbestos. Needless to say it was promptly dumped at sea. We lived in several Fibro clad houses and I don't think it was a coincidence both of my parents died of Mesotheloma the lung cancer caused by asbestos. It's probably in my system as well. The cement sheet is still being manufactured but these days they use wood fiber instead of asbestos. Legal claims against James Hardie (the manufacturer) for asbestos related diseases have yet to be settled after all these years. Their products are now being manufactured in the U.S. as well as here.
[signature]
sorry for your loss,

Our government has dicided to protect this company and others from leagle lidigation here as well.

thats a fine looking set of rug rats you got there. "congradulations" wished I could send you back a pic of mine, but I wasnt fortunate enouogh to have a brood.

they still mine gibsom here, we used to have a wall board product called gibsom, Our dry wall is now composed of chalk.
[signature]
G'day again, They are still using gypsum here as filler in the Gyprock sheets and after the building reaches a certain they run a bobcat over the site and the refuse goes off to the waste management plant where it is sorted. The scrap timber goes through a wood chipper and becomes garden mulch. Bricks and roof tile offcuts are crushed and become road base fill. Gyprock is crushed the paper liner goes off to become cardboard and the gypsum filler is finely crushed and bagged as gypsum for adding to clay based gardens. Very little goes into land fill the space is far too valuable. Most of the brick houses in Sydney were manufactured from clay dug out of the state owned brick pit at St. Peters which back in the fifties was a incredibly large hole in the ground. A wag once told me they were going to cut up the brick pit and sell it as post holes.
[signature]