Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tippet sizing chart
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Thought that someone might find this tippet chart of some value.
[/size][/green][/font][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=18573;]
[/center]
[signature]
I have a hard time remembering that rule. Certainly can't remember the chart either.
So I put the chart it into my real brain a few weeks ago. - my Palm Tungsten.

Good news on that. Last year while helping teach kids to fish for Greenback Cutthroat Trout at Windy Peak Outdoor Educational School's open house I had it slip out of my breast pocket into the water. I hope those little fisheys are still using it.

Yesterday at this year's open house I managed to keep it in my back pack on the bench.

Oops, there I go stealing a thread again.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Perfect Dryrod. Now I can copy and paste.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I don't know, maybe it's the blonde in me[crazy], but I keep it simple by using 3. 4X, 5X and they don't fit a 6X[laugh][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Normal tippet chart is to take 9 then subtract the X size gives you the pound of the tippet, but so many new and improved that it doesn't really follow suit anymore. Add flourocarbon to the equation and it can get even more interesting.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I keep it simple. You know, the "kiss" method.
I use 6# on every thing unless the fish start to break it. Then I go to 8#.
The only exception is for sinking line on my toon. 8# is standard and I go to 10# when needed.
What the heck is this X rating all about anyway?
I have enough to think about when I'm fishing without worring about what X factor I need to deal with![Wink]
PS: I don't fish with any flies smaller than size 20.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Keeping with the KISS formular here is a quick way to remember leader strength. [Approximately][/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Using the # 9 as a base 1X =s 9lbs. There after subtract the X# from 9. 3X =s 6lbs, 5X =s 4lbs, 7X =s 2 lbs. But the best way is to look at the leader package. Most have a chart on the back.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
On high mountain streams I keep it reel simple. 3x or 4x tippet no nymph.

Enough fish seem to like to jump for drys to get me to jump for joy. They are no finicky ... generally.... when I fling it into the troublesome trees. the 4x does not wrap around the branches any where as much as 5x. It is strong enough to be pulled gently out of the bushes some times. Yet it still is strong enough to hold the fish even after it is roughed up by the trees.
[signature]