Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kankakee River Backwaters...tail end of the 3 day cold front
OK so Mike (crappiehunter) and I headed down to LaSalle and fished a lot of the places that kickinbass showed me with little or no success. Then the wind kicked up and Mike was having difficulties controlling the boat, so I started casting out in the flats away from the reeds...and that was the ticket today. Although we caught a few bass up against the cattails, the majority of quality fish came from out on the flats.

No fish were caught on a buzz bait today, Mike took a few on a Sizmic Toad, and even got a couple hits on his Moss Boss, but the story of the day was swimmin a T-rigged Weightless Tiki Worm on a 4/0 Gamakatsu hook just under the surface.

The water was gin clear today, and partially overcast for most of the morning.

Here's a few pics we took today from the twenty-seven (27) bass we caught:
[Image: MikeBO1.jpg]
...Here's Mike's first bass of the day, not a bad chunk.

[Image: MikeBO4.jpg]
...Here's Mike's personal best for the year - a 17" chunk

[Image: MikeBO2.jpg]
...Here's one of Mike's Tiki Worm bass

[Image: MikeBO3.jpg]
...and here's one more of Mike's fish

[Image: FishBO3.jpg]
...Here's a bass I caught that was missing a good portion of its jaw...had no trouble attacking my worm.

[Image: FishBO2.jpg]
...Here's one I caught while fishing away from the cattails, out in the timber

[Image: FishBO1.jpg]
...and another Tiki Worm bass

[Image: FishBO4.jpg]
...Here's one I took out of some pads near the cattails.

Don't quite know how, but I did get one seriously solid strike today that broke my line...don't understand how that fish coulda broke my 6lb. test Cajun Red Line.

Nature Notes: we saw several kingfishers, white egrets, great blue herons, turkey vultures, purple martins, coots, ducks and the highlight of the afternoon was several close observations of the bald eagle.

...all in all, it was another fine day down by the Kankakee!
[signature]