Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shore fishing on the Mayan Riviera
I could really use some information about shore fishing on the Mayan Riviera. I will be down there in Akumal in late November. Anyone have any experience with that?
[signature]
You are the first person to ever respond to any of my Mexican Riviera questions--Thanks!! As for the legality, last year, before we went, I asked and asked and looked all over and everything said it was illegal in Akumal and Half Moon bay, but when I got there and asked the locals, they were all like, oh yeah, fish anywhere you want as long as there aren't people in the water. The beach where they really suggested I go was Chemuyil--the trouble is that you can't drive to it because the gate is closed--always--unless things have changed. I later learned that this was a semi-private beach (I know, Mexico claims that there is no such thing as a private beach in Mexico) used by local law enforcement and the military and their families. I don't know how true that is, but I heard it from multiple sources. Akumal dive shop offered to take me down there in a boat--for a price--but I figured if I was going to pay for a boat, I might as well head out and fish deeper, why pay for a boat to take me somewhere to fish from the shore? Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, for the fishing you suggested, what do you use (for the smaller stuff)? Bait, lures, if so, what kind? Any information would be very, very much appreciated. Also, please let me know how you did when you get back! I really appreciate the help!
[signature]
Thanks a ton for the information. I definitly need to get it into my brain that I can go with very light tackle, even though it's the ocean. I just have it in my mind ocean=surf rod and 20+lb line and 6"+lures. I think I just plain need to go small. Good luck down there, let me know how it goes for you when you get back!
[signature]
By all means, beat a dead horse! I am bringing a few different lures (some more for the fun of casting them than any actual possibility of catching anything). I had success last year catching fish with raw shrimp that I picked up at a fish market in Tulum (the grocery stores in Playa will also have shrimp) The better news is that I finally found a useful website for spin fishing on the Mayan Riviera (it has lots of info on both fly and spin fishing). I think they mostly talk about fishing the flats, but certainly this has to apply to ocean fishing as well, here is the link:
[url "http://www.pescamaya.com/tackle.php"]http://www.pescamaya.com/tackle.php[/url]

If anyone else has anything at all to add, please don't hesitate!!!!
[signature]
Any last bits of advice? Leaving in 2 days...
[signature]
Looks like there is a bunch of great info already in this post but does anyone have any other info. I will be going with the wife and sister/bro in law mid march. We are staying at some place just N of Tulum (Dreams tulum I think) Anyway, I am the only one who fishes out of the group and I am looking to do some fishing from shore. I will try the hard sell for a charter when we get there... (lot's of sun, scenery, cocktails, maybe a dolphin or a turtle, and the once in a lifetime opportunity to make your husband really happy....)

Any tips on locations. from what I can find it looks like you can get away with the the same equip I use here in MN for Muskie and Walleye.

Any magic lures... colors... I see a trip to cabelas in my very near future.

Thanks for any advice you can give. I have never fished the ocean from shore but would love to give it a try.
[signature]
Sorry i'm not much help on your question, but I wanted to be the first to welcome you to the BFT message boards! Hopefully these guys will jump back in with a tid bit more info.

Make sure and post your fishing report when you get back!

Good Luck!

Bryan D.[cool]
[signature]
Weclome to the BigFishTackle message boards.

My computer was down when this thread went through. I don't know how I missed it when I was back up.

Let me give you some insigt on these southern species.

Small to medium flashy objects are one of the keys to them. 1 oz Kastmasters, 2oz Krocodiles and Tady 45s would be the basic recipe. All colors in Chrome or Chrome/Blue. The Tady 45 would be best in a Yellow with Green sides.(they call that one the Dodo)

If you are planning to Walleye and Muskie gear, then you will be set up just about right. Walleye gear for the smaller species and Muskie gear for the larger species.

I might suggest purchasing some of that Tyger leader material as well. It works well with the toothy critters that are down that way. It will even work good for the toothy critters up in your neck of the woods.

I have used the Tyger for the Barracudas on the West coast. It performed so well for me that I was impressed.

You may also want to get you some of the Rapala needlefish in the dark/shiny color. They are a little heavier than your standard "Floating or Countdown" Rapalas but they are effective for the Cudas too.

Good luck and let us know if you need any more information.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice. As far as the spoons are concerned, do you think I could get away with the same salmon spoons I have for fishing Lake Michigan? I have probably 50 of them and they are all in the 3"-5" range.
[signature]
Salmon spoons may work if they are in the correct color range. What particular colors do you have on hand??
[signature]
Make sure that you intergrate a quality ball bearing swivel into your leader if you're going to use a spoon. Alot of people don't, but it will help prevent line twist and give your spoon more action.

Also, use the smallest steel leader that you can. Stay away from single strand on lures, and use a high quality leader material. I believe that the Tiger leader tuben2 is refering to is the tieable titanium leader. If it's the same stuff I bought once before, it is some awesome stuff. The only thing is that you don't get much for the money. It's pretty high dollar. If the price is a little distasteful, don't be affraid to get a roll of seven strand, it'll work just as good. Make sure the crimps you get match the leader. You don't need a massive leader. Alot of times, i'll use a steel leader that either matches the lb test i'm using or just goes over 10 pounds or so. So, if i'm using 20 lb braid, i'm might only use a 30lb steel leader. The lighter the leader, the more action your lure will have. Also, the better chance of a strike. You can also tack on a strip of flourocarbon to your main line, and just use a 4 or 5 inch strip of steel leader to the lure if the fish start getting picky. Or, eleminate the steel leader all together and tie directly to the flourocarbon. [cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Looks like you got some good advice from the guys already. But just to reitereate, you should be good to go with the musky gear you already have - big spoons, jigs and spinners will work just fine. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Be sure to use good swivels and titanium or steel leaders if you want to fish toothy critters there. [/size][/black]
[signature]
Now that I have been down there a couple of times, I may have some good information for you. Shore fishing in and around Tulum can be challenging--mostly due to laws prohibiting it. Actually, let me clarify, the law states that you cannot fish from shore withing 250 meters of an area where there are swimmers. This is somewhat ambiguous in that it does not really clarify whether they mean people actually swimming or a beach known to be popular among swimmers, etc. Anyway, the other thing you need to be careful about is to not fish from a beach that is protected for turtles (Dreams Tulum is probably one of these beaches). The good news is that from Tulum, it is a very, very short drive down to Boca Paila which offers very, very good fishing and it's legal! The catch is that you need a car.
You will be surprised how inexpensive charters can be. I would drive or take the collectivo up to Akumal, walk down to the beach and just ask for Francisco. (really any of the captains are just fine and will give you a good price, somewhere in the neighborhood of $100-120 for a 3-4 hour trip. I would suggest that you ask to bottom fish. They have all of the heavy tackle that you need for that. So, get your lines out to bottom fish, then get your musky tackle out and cast for barracudas, kingfish, wahoo, yellowtail snapper, dolphin, etc. If you want some more info, let me know, and I can try my best to answer specific questions.
[signature]
Hey trollboy8, i'd love to have any specifics you can share on the "trip planning and charter review" board. That's some great info and any specifics will surely help any anglers with an intended destination of said location. [cool]
[signature]
No problem, I would love to do it. I will go to that board and check it out and get an idea of what you are looking for.
[signature]
Thanks so much Trollboy! That's some great info, it would be a shame for it to go to waste! [cool]
[signature]
Do you know of anyway to research what beaches/areas you can or cannot fish. Do they have a gov't site outlining the protected turtle beaches?

I would love to do as much leg work as I can prior to lugging a bunch of gear around that I may not be able to use.

Thanks for the heads up
[signature]
There are a lot of varying reports about where you can and cannot fish. Having said that, I do know that you can pretty well fish wherever no one is there telling you not to. Is that vague enough? First, how mobile will you be? Will you have a car? The good thing is that since you will be paying Dreams Tulum a bunch of money to stay there, they should provide you with some resources about fishing. I would email them and ask about shore fishing oportunities within walking distance. Admittedly, I have not stayed in Tulum, however, I have been down there a few times and have done the same kind of research you are now trying to do. Tulum is much more popluated than, say, Akumal, which is where I go. Also, I think you will be there in the "high" season, where I always go in the "low" season. That could complicate things a bit. Also, if you could give me an idea of how much money you do or don't want to spend, I could give you some very good suggestions in the way of charters or flats fishing tours, etc.
[signature]
Just found a nice thread on this subject on another board. As for the fishing license, I know that when you charter a boat, your license is included (they seem be be a little unclear on this).

(locogringo.com/forums/tm.asp?m=511611)

****I had to edit the link. We can't allow direct link to other forums***** TN2
[signature]
I did send an email request to my hotel to see if they could give me more specific info relative the areas around the hotel.

Unfortunately, I will not be very mobile. Primarily because the reason we are going is to celebrate my wife's b-day. This trip is all about her... I was hoping to be able to sneak out for a few hours at a pop while I get her situated on a beach chair with some nice waiter on hand to feed her margaritas.

My wife is already concerned about the things I try to talk her into on vacation. I think it started with our Honeymoon where I talked her into an $800 shark fishing Trip. The 8ft 300 lb lemon shark I caught was well worth it from my perspective but she did not see it that way.

The cheaper the better from my perspective. I would be ok with me bringing my own gear and then just having somebody drive me around via boat for a few hours. I am open to suggestions.
[signature]