Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado River & Striper report 9-20-06
From Turners... 9-20-06

[url "http://www.turners.com/engage/reports_fishreport.php"]http://www.turners.com/engage/reports_fishreport.php[/url]

PICKS OF THE WEEK
1. The big stripers started stirring at Willow Beach. For the past two weeks, the regulars who hurl the big, trout-like plugs picking up a number of fish from 15 to 40-plus pounds. This stretch of river has been getting trout plants all summer, and it looks like the big stripers have finally moved up into the Willow Beach area to feed. If you have the heavy casting rods and A.C. Plugs (or similar lures), this is a hot spot right now. For an update on the bite, contact the Willow Beach marina at 928-767-4747.

STRIPED BASS: The top bite has been for bigger stripers from 12 to 40 pounds at Willow Beach on the Colorado River. The best action has been on big, trout-like plugs and swim baits. For Southern California waters, Skinner, Pyramid, Silverwood and Castaic have a consistently good bites on smaller fish, mostly on cut baits, but some on topwater early and late in the day. Skinner really exploded three weeks ago, and it remains a top bet. The striped bass bite is good in the California Aqueduct near Taft with a lot of fish over the 18-inch minimum size showing on blood or lug worms. On the Colorado River, Lake Mead has an excellent morning surface bite as fish bust shad on the surface in Vegas Wash, while Mohave and Havasu are both fair to good on small fish to 4-0. Also fair action in the lower river at the Palo Verde Diversion Dam.

[/url]COLORADO RIVER

LAKE MEAD: Overall fishing is slow due to high winds and cool temps. The water temp dropped ten degrees in the last week to the low 70s. Some fish are being landed, but the action is on-and-off. Information: 702-564-3058.

WILLOW BEACH: The striper bite has continued to be hot with some quality fish reported on swimbaits and A.C. Plugs. Top catch was a 43-0 by Jerry Rago, Bishop, on a swimbait. Allan Cole, Henderson, caught stripers at 40-0, 29-0, and 25-0. James King, Vegas, caught five stripers off shore to 10-0. Trout action remains good on orange, yellow and rainbow Power Bait, shinny spinners or Rooster tails. The Jumbo Wash area has been the hot spot with a lot of limits reported. Catfish from 4-0 to 5-0 are being landed. Information: 928-767-4747.

LAKE MOHAVE: Not too many reported fish, however a few small stripers are being landed on the north side. Most fish are staying deep in cooler waters. The bite is best down 30 to 40 feet on anchovies. Some catfish being reported from Arizona side on mackerel and chicken livers. Telephone Cove and the power lines are still the hot spots. Information: 702-297-1464.

BELOW DAVIS DAM: Striper fishing good in the morning and evening. Most of the stripers are small, but a few 25-inch fish were reported. Davis Camp has been the best spot. Water levels are higher during the day for boat fishing.

NEEDLES: Small-sized stripers showing on cut pieces of anchovies early and late in the day. Most reported are 12 to 16 inches. Jack Smith Park and Willow Valley Marina are hot spots for striper action. Information: Premier Sports 760-326-2727, Golden Shores 760-768-2325.

TOPOCK MARSH: No reports. Information: 928-768-2350.

HAVASU: The striper bite is good in Steam Boat Cove from the Arizona side. Striped bass and catfish action good in little coves and off the pier on anchovies and nightcrawlers. A few cats from 8-0 to 10-0 are biting in most coves, especially at the upper end of the lake on Catmando stink bait in 20 feet of water, but most fish are pan-sized. Information: 760-663-3811.

PARKER STRIP: Good to excellent bass, bluegill, cat and redear action. Smallmouth bass action best in the main river for anglers fishing rocky structure. Both smallmouth and largemouth are biting on hard-nosed jerk baits. Best cat bite on chicken livers and nightcrawlers. Flathead catfish are also in full swing on goldfish and bluegill.

BLYTHE: Good to excellent catfish action. Channel cats biting on mackerel and chicken liver. Flatheads biting on live goldfish or bluegill. Stripers biting fair at the Palo Verde Diversion dam. Good numbers of bluegill being reported from the backwaters, and there's a good topwater bass bite early and late in the day. Information: 760-921-2248.

PALO VERDE: Channel catfish action remains good in the backwaters, canals and main river. Flathead action is also good on live goldfish or tilapia. Largemouth bass fishing is good on plastic worms, reaction baits, and live minnows in backwaters.
PICACHO AREA: Bass fishing is fair on live bait and plastics. The catfish bite has remained fair with a lot of channel cats and flatheads showing.

MARTINEZ LAKE AREA: Flathead fishing in full swing. Night fishing best on bluegill or goldfish with fish to 20-0 reported. Hodge Rock a hot spot. Excellent early morning topwater bite for largemouths and then decent action on live shiners, cranks, spinnerbaits, and plastics. Lots of limits. Stripers are biting in the lake as well as in the main river channel, mostly on cut baits. No crappie action. Information: 928-783-9589 or [url "http://www.martinezlake.com"]www.martinezlake.com[/url].

YUMA AREA: The Gila Main Canal in East Yuma is great for channel catfish and large redear and bluegill. All biting on worms. Catfish bite good on chicken liver or worms, and the flathead bite has improved with the best action on live minnows. Bass fishing has been good, especially on live minnows in the main river and local backwaters.
[signature]
Howdy There Fishing fans.
Last month the report from Willow beach was posted here and , being a Willow weeper (havent caught big fish yet) I had asked:::
Jumbo Wash..... Where is Jumbo Wash??? My maps do not show it..
Maps do show Burro Wash but not Jumbo..

Steve
Sun Tracker 25....
[signature]
[font "TimesNewRoman"][size 1][left]These river mileage markers are from the following site of the US Bureau of Reclamation:[/left][font "TimesNewRoman"] [left][/font][url "http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/pao/rvrmiles.pdf"]http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/pao/rvrmiles.pdf[/url][/left] [left] [/left] [left]It appears they are numbered from the south with the international boundry as mile 0.0, so Jumbo Wash would be 2 tenths of a mile south of the willow beach ramp.[/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left]325.6 Monkey Hole ®[/left] [left]326.3 Roaring Rapids (location)[/left] [left]329.3 Shallow Rapids (location)[/left] [left]329.6 Jumbo Wash (L)[/left] [left]329.8 Willow Beach Resort Area (L)[/left] [left]330.4 Willow Beach N ational Fish Hatchery[/left] [left]332.2 Stream gage, USGS, Colorado River Willow Beach (D iscontinued)[/left] [left] [/left] [left]as a side note the bureau doesn't list Burro wash till you get near Temple bar and then it's "Wild Burro Wash"[/left] [left]what map are you using?[/left] [left] [/left] [left]I'd suggest the NOAA chart of the colorado river basin #11319__A [/left] [left] [/left] [left]their info is about as good as is available[/left][/size][/font]
[signature]
Now your talkin !

Thank you very much. I did not know the good fishing was so close to the marina.....
I ve fished everywhere but there, DUH!.
The maps I have are:
Fish n Map Co.
water proof/tear proof......
I have Lake Mohave which shows the mileage from Davis dam.
So, the hot spot will be mile 52 on these maps.....

I owe you....

Steve
25 Sun Tracker with red bimini....

I have beers for ya on board.....
[signature]
That's interesting. That seems to be the story at Lake Mead as well. I've always found that the fishing was really good around the marinas, i.e., Callville Bay and Temple Bar. Although I didn't seem to have as much luck around Echo Bay. Good luck hooking a monster!

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
You guys are way over my head. I'm still using the wind, stars, and color of the water to navigate!
BaySport
[signature]
That's the way to do it, BaySport. Although I have to admit that one of fishermen's best friend is GPS especially when you're fishing in the ocean.

By the way, what's your explanation for why the water is more blue or green in certain areas of the lake. I think the water in Overton Arm is very green while the Boulder Basin is bluish-green. Temple Bar, on the other hand, has very little green in the water. Any theories?

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]