Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Sierra Fishing
Hey All,

I have been really busy for the past few months which has left me little time for much else. But I wanted to drop a line about my recent trip to the High Sierras. I went to, probably one of my favorite places, Jackass meadows... the fishing was HOT!!! The patterns working best were: Royal Trude (14-18), Joe's and Daves hoppers (8-12) Elk Hair Caddis-tan (14-18) and Black Fur Ant (12-14).

I tried something new this trip... My dad was using grasshoppers (live, not flies) he was catching in the meadows nearby. So I started using them dry with no luck. I saw that he was using a split shot to get them near the bottom, I threw on a split shot and WHAM!!!, fish after fish after beautiful fish.

The only time I was able to get a rise on a hopper dry was when I wasn't paying attention. I had my eye on a nice lie under a shady pine hanging ove the river. So while I was watching some action of fish rising under the tree I had been castingout towards the middle of the river, mainly being lazy, not wanting to bring in my line. Out of the corner my eye I saw a splash and realized something had taken my fly. I pulled up and set the hook, after a few minutes I landed a pretty, 12" brown. (pic included). All told, I landed and released about 20+ trout this weekend ranging from 6" to 15". Mostly Bows, but quite a few browns thrown in (more than I have seen in years) as well.

On top of it all, the weather was amazing. I couldn't have asked for a better weekend throwing a fly around.
[signature]
[cool][#008000]Hi Discman and thank you for the report and picture. I keep saying that one of these days I am going to make my way up to the Sierra's.[/#008000]
[signature]