Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
better toon for the money
What would be better out of the Cabela's store? Under $500 is the target.

TU Rogue Alum. Frame
TU Colorado Steel Frame
Waterskeeter LP Alum. Frame (over $500)
Waterskeeter Backwater Steel Frame
Creek Company Super Sport 9 Steel Frame

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/compchart/comp-chart.jsp;jsessionid=QHIX33LVTEX1KCWQNWSCCNIK0BW0KIWE?chartName=pontoon_boats&filterName=current&_requestid=75684&_requestid=49372"]LINK TO CABELAS[/url]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Aluminum frames make for lighter weight and less rust. If you want the best craft with an aluminum frame, both of the TU toons (Colorado and Rogue River) have aluminum frames. The RR has slightly bigger air chambers and is rated 50# higher in load capacity.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have had no experience with the RR, but know several folks who have owned and enjoyed the Colorado. Unlike Outcast and some other manufacturers, TU toons are sometimes discounted. Sam's Club had some smokin' deals on the Colorado a while back, but I haven't seen anything recently.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After that, look at the quality of construction. Heavy guage PVC bottoms are better if you are going to be running on moving water. Good heavy air chambers (urethane or PVC) are better than vinyl. The length and quality of the oars and the type of seat can be important too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Other than that, you need to decide which features are most important to you, and how much is too much, and then go for it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Went to Cabela's in Michigan yesterday. Took the SuperSport 9 with me and left it in the car. Went inside and looked around just in case I could find a better deal. I did.

Water Skeeter Backwater 9 for $339, regularly $450. Only $40 more than I had paid for the SuperSport. It's the display model and it's missing the stripping apron. Thicker steel, powder coated and generally beefier. The fit of the framing tubes is tighter than on the SuperSport. Also, it has a thick PVC coating on the bottom of the tubes for abrasion resistance and built in anchor system (pulleys, cleat, routing guides).

I think it will suffice for my occasional whitewater journeys. I will feel a lot more comfortable taking this into Class III than the SuperSport. The tubes are larger and the rocker is pronounced. Of course, I would have loved to have bought the $800 version with the standing platform but it looks like a platform and railing can be backyard engineered fairly soon.

Remember, my whitewater experience is extensive, 15 years +. It is my choice to venture into Class III. The manufacturer doesn't recommend it and I'm not trying to tell anyone else to try it.

bigdaddyjohn
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like you scored a good deal. This is a good time of year to be shopping for a tube or toon. All the outlets are closing out the summer stuff and loading up for ice fishing season.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Send us some pics when you get your "refinements" in place.[/#0000ff]
[signature]